Dog Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have to vent....I went to the local shelter where I live and left crying...yes I cried! LOL I was upset to not only see the amount of dogs given up or abandoned but the amount of strays...there were two buildings full of adopted dogs, more than one dog to each kennel, and there were two buildings full of strays, literally half if not more were pits, some with scars and some with fresh tick wounds. My real vent is towards people who will not accept a mutt in their home...everbody wants an 8 week old pure bred for hundreds of dollars when there are 8 week old mutts in the shelter. I wish I had a bigger pocket and a smaller heart...I have 4 dogs already and wish I could have taken home so many of those dogs. Even the older ones..not ONE dog growled at us yesterday, everybody wanted to go home :( it broke my heart. Im sure its the same everywhere in the states. Its heartbreaking and I am upset at people who cant take care of them properly. K I am done.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The local kill shelter here intakes about 150 dogs A DAY.

What you are describing is why I will never purchase or breed a dog.
You know, I never will either....I cant bear thinking of what these babies in shelters go through...My boyfriend and I are actually going to donate toys, beds, and food this weekend. I am also going to look into making shirts and selling them, giving all money to the shelters and hopefully get into peoples hearts with the messages on them. I have the biggest heart for animals and would rather rescue a mutt than purchase a pure bred. All my animals are rescue minus 2 ferrets. my 2 cats, 4 dogs, all the other ferrets, and my snake are all rescues... I knew I liked ya for a reason! ;)

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
Im on my 6th rescue dog. Both my cats are rescues as well. We adopted Scooter three years ago and were hooked in rescue. Can you believe i've only had dogs 3 years??? lol

I breed snakes but im also involved in rescue with reptiles.

Good thinking on the donations. We donated money to a senior dog rescue at my wedding.

I would like to volunteer but my hands are pretty full. So for now I work on getting the strays I can catch off the street. I used to trap cats but there doesn't seem to be a cat problem here.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im on my 6th rescue dog. Both my cats are rescues as well. We adopted Scooter three years ago and were hooked in rescue. Can you believe i've only had dogs 3 years??? lol

I breed snakes but im also involved in rescue with reptiles.

Good thinking on the donations. We donated money to a senior dog rescue at my wedding.

I would like to volunteer but my hands are pretty full. So for now I work on getting the strays I can catch off the street. I used to trap cats but there doesn't seem to be a cat problem here.
k ready....my boyfriend and I have been together just over 2 years....we bought our first two ferrets in August 2007, rescued our first dog in October 2007 LOL so I am right there with you. I too cannot volunteer...I will be taking 4 classes, 2 with labs and 1 is a field course plus will be working part time so every second I am home is dedicated to my babies and studying. I hope I can pull off this selling Tshirts keep your fingers crossed!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If it's any consilation, there are some of us who have a show dog background and still adopt from shelters.

My current two are both pure breds, but pound adoptions. Before that, I had a trio, one pure bred I bought from a reptuable breeder I totally reseached and two pound adoptees, a mix breed and a lhassa.

I think where you need to vent your anger is at petshops, backyard breeders and people who do not fix their dogs, they are why there are so many dogs in pounds and why so many are put to sleep every day.

Petshops keep the puppy mills in business. For those of you who say you only bought your dog from a petstore to rescue it, you heart may have been in the right place, bless you for that, but petstores don't care why you bought the dog as long as you bought it and in buying it, you are keeping puppymills in business. Each and every sale only induces them to breed more and for petshops to buy more.

As far as backyard breeders. You may think you have the greatest dog ever born and it should pass on it's genes. And you say that you always find homes for your pups. But for each pup you sell, that is another one somewhere else that is being put to sleep because it doesn't have a home. Leave the breeding to people who show and put the money and effort into breeding high quality and genetically healthy puppies. These breeders will always have some pets in each litter for those who do want a purebred pet and these pups at least will have a background of health certifications.

For those who don't fix their dogs and think they can control them while in heat, think again, you wouldn't believe all the stories I alone can tell about how imaginative dogs can get when they want to breed, I'm sure others can give a lot more stories. Let's start with a mini poodle, breeding a st bernard, through a fence, while standing on a snow bank. If there's a way, a dog will find it. And I don't care how beautiful or smart your dog is. I recently lose my old chow cross, a pound adoptee. When she was 8 months old I mentioned to a neighbor that she was going in to be spay. He had a fit, told me a dog as beautiful as her, and she was beautiful, should have puppies. He totally chewed me out, but it didn't change my mind, she was spay, never saw her first season, and was my girl until I lose her at almost 16 years of age, but she never contributed to the pet overpopulation and that fact never change how great of a pet she was. Oh heck, want to get technical, I have live trapped wild barn cats and paid to have them fixed. They are not pets, but they also don't reproduce and still keep my barn free of vermin.

Oops, sorry, got on my soapbox and went on too much. But I do think I brought up some important issues. I'll climb off my soapbox now and shut up.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's any consilation, there are some of us who have a show dog background and still adopt from shelters.

My current two are both pure breds, but pound adoptions. Before that, I had a trio, one pure bred I bought from a reptuable breeder I totally reseached and two pound adoptees, a mix breed and a lhassa.

I think where you need to vent your anger is at petshops, backyard breeders and people who do not fix their dogs, they are why there are so many dogs in pounds and why so many are put to sleep every day.

Petshops keep the puppy mills in business. For those of you who say you only bought your dog from a petstore to rescue it, you heart may have been in the right place, bless you for that, but petstores don't care why you bought the dog as long as you bought it and in buying it, you are keeping puppymills in business. Each and every sale only induces them to breed more and for petshops to buy more.

As far as backyard breeders. You may think you have the greatest dog ever born and it should pass on it's genes. And you say that you always find homes for your pups. But for each pup you sell, that is another one somewhere else that is being put to sleep because it doesn't have a home. Leave the breeding to people who show and put the money and effort into breeding high quality and genetically healthy puppies. These breeders will always have some pets in each litter for those who do want a purebred pet and these pups at least will have a background of health certifications.

For those who don't fix their dogs and think they can control them while in heat, think again, you wouldn't believe all the stories I alone can tell about how imaginative dogs can get when they want to breed, I'm sure others can give a lot more stories. Let's start with a mini poodle, breeding a st bernard, through a fence, while standing on a snow bank. If there's a way, a dog will find it. And I don't care how beautiful or smart your dog is. I recently lose my old chow cross, a pound adoptee. When she was 8 months old I mentioned to a neighbor that she was going in to be spay. He had a fit, told me a dog as beautiful as her, and she was beautiful, should have puppies. He totally chewed me out, but it didn't change my mind, she was spay, never saw her first season, and was my girl until I lose her at almost 16 years of age, but she never contributed to the pet overpopulation and that fact never change how great of a pet she was. Oh heck, want to get technical, I have live trapped wild barn cats and paid to have them fixed. They are not pets, but they also don't reproduce and still keep my barn free of vermin.

Oops, sorry, got on my soapbox and went on too much. But I do think I brought up some important issues. I'll climb off my soapbox now and shut up.
I did not direct my vent towards anybody in particular because it was directed at everybody, whether a BYB, reputable breeder, or someone who only wants a pure bred.

On happier note, in just about an hour my boyfriend and I are heading off to our apartment to get the old dog toys that our babies don't play with anymore, then to Costco for some kirklands food and cheerios, then to the humane society and finally the pound to donate all of them :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is so sad. I feel so sorry for those animals. We didn't know it but we rescued Lucy. She was from a puppy mill but, we didn't know it. But, we went to their website one day and it said is was closed. We searched where we got Lucy and a video popped up. It showed the owners backyard and the dogs has no food and there were some dead dogs. It made me happy and sad. Happy that we rescued Lucy and sad that some dogs died.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is so sad. I feel so sorry for those animals. We didn't know it but we rescued Lucy. She was from a puppy mill but, we didn't know it. But, we went to their website one day and it said is was closed. We searched where we got Lucy and a video popped up. It showed the owners backyard and the dogs has no food and there were some dead dogs. It made me happy and sad. Happy that we rescued Lucy and sad that some dogs died.
Yea puppy mills are unfortunate. I cannot believe the lack of heart people have and the lack of law enforcement in many of the states. People only do things like that because they get away with it until someone really makes it a point to report people. The economy is horrible everywhere and people are having to get rid of their pets, that is why I am shocked breeders are still being selfish and breeding, especially reputable breeders who charge an arm and a leg for their litters. Right now I think the BYB are doing enough and breeding needs to be put on a stand still. Just a personal opinion

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
but they are "bettering the breed!" ::::rollseyes:::

to be insanely bluntly honest im pretty antibreeder. I understand their stance on the overpop issues but don't agree with it (but our well bred dogs aren't the ones in the shelters!!) that may be so, but if I purchased my dogs from a breeder there would be 6 more dead bodies som'where that no one would remember.

I sence a flaming in my future ;)

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I dislike the "designer" breed names. I work at a vet clinic and the other day someone came in and told me it was a schnorkiezu. I almost said, "so it's a mutt?" But I didn't want to be rude...

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I dislike the "designer" breed names. I work at a vet clinic and the other day someone came in and told me it was a schnorkiezu. I almost said, "so it's a mutt?" But I didn't want to be rude...

"shes a jackawawa...its a new...RARE breed"

This seriously came out of a customers mouth when I met her mutt dog.

Turns out she also PAID new rare breed pricing as well.

sweet dog...funny looking tho. lolz

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Haha, yeah some of them are odd looking. There was a "labradoodle" being boarded there and he was awfully adorable and had the energy of a lab(he was still a pup too).

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol good to know I am not alone on this designer breed and breeding issue. I hate seeing the ridiculous prices people will pay when there are perfectly good dogs at pounds and shelters.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Its a shame that we dont have the economic resources to put some kind of ban on breeding,temporarily and be able to successfuly moniter what people do.Like a law stating that no dogs be intentionaly bred for 3 years,just to let some of the shelters find homes for their dogs.Then maybe a regulation on how many people can breed per year.But it would be so hard to enforce such laws and Im sure breeders evrywhere would have a fit! I understand breeding for healthier dogs,but all the show people can picture their first place prizes pinned to the dead dogs they didnt want....(excluding those of you who purchased your dogs through rescues or shelters)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.