Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have a question or maybe some questions for raw diet users.

I have 2 Boston Terriers. The problem child just turned 2 in August. On all accounts, he is an extremely healthy dog. He has been on a raw diet since I brought him home and has been thriving on it... There is just one problem... He seems ALWAYS hungry. I say "seems" because I'm not 100% if he is actually hungry, or if he just thinks he is lol. He gets fed his raw formula (1 cup of Steve's) twice a day and gets a snack in between which is usually a chicken foot or something similar. I talked to his holistic veterinarian about his daily allotment and routine and she said he's right where he should be and didn't seem very concerned. Recently, it has gotten to the point where I feed him and 5 seconds later he acts like he hasn't eaten. Around his dinner time, he will stare and bark at me until I feed him. At first, I just thought it was because he loved his food which was great, but the way he acts literally seems like I'm starving him. He has an extremely fast metabolism, and I'm now thinking the protein is just not lasting him long enough until dinner. My first question is, has anybody experienced something similar?

This leads me to my second question... Recently, he had a stay with my parents and I realized I didn't send enough raw with him. She had some high-quality kibble that she eased him into. She gave him kibble in the morning and fed him his raw at night and she said it seemed to satisfy him. He was no longer waking up early in the morning to eat and wasn't bothering her at night to eat. My first thought was that he didn't like it and thus he wasn't as eager to eat, but this dog will literally eat trash, has an iron stomach, and he scarfed down the kibble. Which then lead me to believe the carbs are leaving him more filled. I've been seriously thinking about doing 50/50 kibble/raw to not only cut down on costs but to see if it makes a difference. My next question is if anyone has high-quality human-grade kibble recommendations? I work at a high-end pet store where we sell Acana, Orijen, Fromm, and Zignature and have brand reps in all the time. My main concern is transparency. I have been told all of these brands are good, but my sources have been bias. So if anyone has recommendations, especially if their dog is on a 50/50 diet, it would be greatly appreciated. I prefer it to be grain-free, and potatoes give him the farts lol. Also, I've read about the possibility of enlarged hearts when feeding grain free food... I'm thinking since I'm supplementing it will all even out, but that is also a concern of mine.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
745 Posts
yeah our staffy was always hungry! terriers ay! always hungry! & she was fed the correct amount. It might be a good idea to try what your thinking as that may be what he's asking for. Also he prob asking for more chicken feet! haha once they have something like that they usually want 2, I guess a chicken has 2 feet not 1 right? It may be he enjoys chewing, not just the eating & something to chew for ages might help. It keeps my dog happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol okay, glad to know he's not the only one! And haha he does actually get two chicken feet, but maybe I need to be giving him something that might help keep him fuller longer... I'll have to check that out! He has water buffalo horns and antlers that I try to put a little bit of peanut butter in sometimes and he's never really interested. I've been trying to combat his hunger by providing him with some enrichment activities during the day to get his mind off of food, but he never really is interested in anything except food or treats lol. Thanks so much for your reply! It's great to know someone experienced the same issue! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts