Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was talking to a co-worker yesterday about dogs and I found out she has a beautiful Great Dane, after she showed me tons of adorable pictures of her. :)

Then we proceeded to talk about breeds of dogs we have owned in the past, breeds of dogs we wanted to own someday, and breeds of dogs we didn't think we could ever own.

I mentioned that I didn't think I could ever own a giant breed like her, and she asked me why. I gave her a bunch of reasons why I didn't think they would be a good fit for my family, but when I mentioned that they have shorter lives than I would want for my next dog she said I was wrong.

She told me that the only reason Great Danes have a short average lifespan of 6-8 years commonly seen on the internet is because that is skewed from a bunch of dogs dying early due to bloat. She then told me that their real average lifespan excluding the ones that die from bloat is actually 11-13 years.

Is that true? And if so, why is that not common knowledge?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Probably because a large percentage die of bloat. If it weren't so common then perhaps the average life span would increase. It's so tragically common :(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
502 Posts
But the percentage isn't really skewed. Just like every other cause of death, if it didn't happen then lifespan would be longer. But it is very VERY common so the majority of them don't live much longer than 6-8 years. Plus ones I've been around that don't die of bloat still haven't lasted longer than 9 due to arthritis/hip dysplasia/other joint problems and cancer. They just really aren't a long lived breed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses everyone, it pretty much confirmed what I thought. I mean I knew that a bunch died of bloat but I also thought that even without bloat they typically didn't live until double digits.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I have definitely heard of plenty living to about 12, but I would say on AVERAGE more live to about 10. Not a bad run for a dog really, but not as long as smaller breeds.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great Danes are wonderful dogs. The best way IMO is to do research and talk to reputable breeders in order to get the healthiest pup possible. Obviously you should do this with any breed but especially a breed known for temperament and health problems galore. I learned this the hard way and ended up losing my Dane at 5 years old :( from Dialated Cardiomyopathy, common in large and giant breeds and is presumably genetic. I have also heard of Dane owners having a procedure done called, profalactic Gastropexy, in an attempt to lower chances of bloat. If you love the breed,any breed, sometimes you have to be able to accept the negatives and take a proactive approach to raising that breed. All that said I love Danes and hope to have one again someday :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts