Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother has had a maltipoo for about 7 years now. The dog is very energetic and often at your feet. My mother is intentionally not as careful as she should be when walking with the dog in the house, and sometimes steps on her feet, causing the dog to yelp.
When this happens my mom will say "well, she has to learn not to walk so close." My feeling is that the dog has been in this environment for 7 years so if they haven't learned by now, they aren't going to. She doesnt step on the dog's toes often though I still think she should be more careful.
I'm especially careful with the dog and over that time and rarely if ever step on her. I feel it's a cruel and unrealistic way to try to teach an animal. I'm not a dog expert though and would like others thought on this and how to handle it. Thank you in advance.

·
Super Moderator
318 Posts
My mother has had a maltipoo for about 7 years now. The dog is very energetic and often at your feet. My mother is intentionally not as careful as she should be when walking with the dog in the house, and sometimes steps on her feet, causing the dog to yelp.
When this happens my mom will say "well, she has to learn not to walk so close." My feeling is that the dog has been in this environment for 7 years so if they haven't learned by now, they aren't going to. She doesnt step on the dog's toes often though I still think she should be more careful.
I'm especially careful with the dog and over that time and rarely if ever step on her. I feel it's a cruel and unrealistic way to try to teach an animal. I'm not a dog expert though and would like others thought on this and how to handle it. Thank you in advance.
Hi.

That isn't "care". it's abuse. If my mum did that to her cats in front of me, I'd do the same to her and see how she liked it.
. Luckily my mum is a animal lover and wouldn't dream of doing that to her pets. It's one thing to accidentally stand of a dog's foot or tail - hands up, I've done it. Stood right on my Chihuahua too, because she was completely hidden under a duvet and I didn't see her. . . But to deliberately stand on your dog's toes to teach it "not to walk so close to you. . .?

If your mother is willing to learn, perhaps this will help; Touching a Target .

Or maybe just shut her behind a baby gate if your mother doesn't want her following her around.

Honestly! Accidents happen but dogs usually do learn to some extent to avoid human feet. Can't see how a dog could do that if the owner is deliberately increasing the likelihood of an "accident."

·
Registered
850 Posts
Agree with the above this is not training this is just abuse.

and I'm sorry to say if you stand by and let it happen and you are as bad as your mother.
Facilitating abuse by standing by and doing nothing is not acceptable you've asked for advice you've been told what we think please act on it.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Agree, that's no way to care for a dog. They instinctively want to be close, so are naturally underfoot, frequently. Stepping on your dogs feet, is painful for them, & can cause permanent damage, & is cruel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies. I think I wasn't clear in my initial post. My mother does not intentionally step on the dogs toes. She is, however, less careful than she could be. It's more of a willful negligence, as opposed to malicious intent.
It's still bad in my opinion, and should be addressed. I wanted to be clear about that since I'm going to have her read this post, to show her I'm not the only one concerned about this. Thanks again for the replies.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts