Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very odd question that I can not figure out.

When I leave my dog in a stay command and leave the room she will stay there for about 5 minutes (haven’t tried this for any longer). However, if I am out of sight but she can hear my voice, she will break the stay and come to me in about 1 minute or less. When she can see me, it will not matter if she can hear me or not, she stays. This is very consistent, even with other distractions in the room and even when in a very familiar and safe place . She has no separation anxiety, nor has she ever had separation anxiety.

Is this just a simple matter of her wanting to be near me when I am out of sight? And if it is, why would she stay only when she can’t hear me. Would it really make things worse when she can hear me but not see me ?

Even since I have discovered this, I just keep my big mouth shut and now she consistently stays when I am out of sight until I release her. I have never run into this situation before so I am at a loss to explain it. What am I missing ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Maybe shes just not used to hearing you talk when shes in a stay. So i would say put her in a stay and be near her and talk to someone and if she stays give her a treat and release. You want her to know that if you talk its okay to stay put. Make sure its short sessions so you can always end on a positive note. You could do it every day for 5 minutes a day. She keeps improving take more and more steps back. It might not be right away but i think she would stay for you with proper training.

I hope this helps :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that makes sense. Never really considered how my own voice could be a distraction. I will certainly give your suggestion a try

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.