Dog Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a 9 month old male miniature schnauzer, maybe 12 lbs. We live on a ranch, so he is very active outside but comes in throughout the day. He has about a quarter size laceration on the lateral side of his right front shoulder. I'm assuming it's from barbed wire. There are no major vessels punctured, it is not bleeding and was not when I initially found it. The hide is just torn down to the muscle. I have kept it clean, bandaged it for one day and then decided to just let it breathe. He cannot reach to lick it or scratch it. It isn't draining or looking infected-YET. However, he's just extremely uncomfortable trying to go after it, licking as close as he can get, scratching, etc. I have given 1/2 tab Rimadyl, but does anyone have any other suggestions? :huddle: I gave him a bone too in hopes that it might keep him distracted. I greatly appreciate it!! :)
Thank you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Probably not much more you can do that what you are doing. I think you are right to let it breath, that will hopefully help it heal quicker as long as he is not able to lick it. Maybe try some Neosporin on it as well? I would suggest the Neosporin that has the pain relief medicine in it as well, but I am not sure if that is safe for doggies.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 9 month old male miniature schnauzer, maybe 12 lbs. ... He has about a quarter size laceration on the lateral side of his right front shoulder. I'm assuming it's from barbed wire.
A quarter sized break in the skin is quite large for a dog of this size, and if you can see the muscle, it will need stitches. It does not need to be bleeding profusely for it to need stitches. PLEASE take him to the vet.

Also, was your puppy prescribed the Rimadyl? Please be aware of Rimadyl's side effects, as described in a couple of stories here and here. It is usually prescribed for arthritis and joint inflammation in older dogs, but a percentage have developed serious GI problems when taking it, leading to the death of their dog.

·
Registered
9,599 Posts
Oh please call your vet and ask about this. I'd rather see you pup safe. Tell them the med you are using...please!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Regardless of whether she goes to the vet or not it's certainly too late for stitches now, the wound must be fresh.
It probably could have used stitches and will scar, but at this point I think you're doing the right thing by letting it air out, as long as you're 100% sure he can't get to it. I agree you should try Neosporin + pain relief, again assuming he can't lick it. That will ease the tenderness a bit and will keep it from getting infected. Wash it w hydrogen peroxide daily.
Best of luck, hope he heals wo issue. If it gets infected definitely head to the vet for antibiotics.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
He needs the vet, it's not only licking that will be a problem if it's causing him pain, he will also start to try and rub it or scratch at it, if he manages to do that you will be battling inflammation and an infection. I had a dog that managed to do that with an abrasion he had on his chest, no way for him to lick it but he managed to rub it whenever I was not looking, he took a small abrasion and turned it into a $50 vet bill, yet never once licked at it.

Be careful of hydrogen peroxide, it can sting and if it stings your dog is liable to not let you near the wound. I tried using peroxide on that chest abrasion and after the first application my dog fought me every time I tried to doctor the wound. I had to muzzle him and practically sit on him to try to clean it and even then I still ended up at the vet with him after a few days.

Your best bet is going to be the wound care stuff that they sell for animals, the problem with neosporin, polysporin, and bacetracin is that it is greasy and it will get dirty unless you are keeping a bandage over it. A lot of the stuff that they sell for dogs is more of a cream and will hopefully dry.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The do make a Neosporin cream too if you can't get to the pet store OP. The dog stuff would be ideal.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Hydrogen peroxide has been shown to slow down wound healing. Don't use it long term.

Get this stitched up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts