Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A happy news story! Service dog saves owner's life by calling 911

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Larkspur 
#1 ·
I saw this on the Drudge Report this morning... I had no idea that there are special phones for service dogs to use to call for help! Amazing!! :thumbsup:

Service Dog Saves Blind Owner's Life During House Fire

A service dog is being hailed a hero after she jumped into action and saved her blind owner’s life by alerting authorities to a house fire in Philadelphia Thursday morning.

The fire started inside a home on the 4300 block of Oakmont Street in the city’s Holmesburg section. Fire officials say the homeowner, a woman in her 60’s who is blind, was inside at the time. The woman’s service dog Yolanda immediately dialed 911 on a specialized phone.

Firefighters responded to the scene and controlled the blaze. The woman was taken to Nazareth Hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
It wasn’t the first time Yolanda saved her owner’s life. Jen Leary, the founder of the Red Paw Emergency Relief Team, told NBC10 Yolanda also called 911 last year when her owner fell down inside her home and lost consciousness.

Yolanda and her owner were both displaced by the blaze and are being assisted by Red Paw Emergency Relief Team and the American Red Cross.

Published at 8:37 PM EDT on Aug 6, 2015

See less See more
#2 ·
Amazing story!!! Service dogs do such an incredible job! There was a deaf lady on TV recently who had a hearing dog, this dog did all sorts of things, woke the woman when her morning alarm went off by nuzzling into her neck (that sounds like a lovely way to be woken :)) The woman had a special house phone which uses text when the people on the other end are talking, the dog would alert the woman when the phone rang, it had to have a unique ringtone so as the dog didn't respond to other phones when out & about. Like I said, incredible!! I take my hat off to those who train these fabulous dogs! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.