Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I would like to tell everyone the great news of Murgo. It maybe a bit long but bear with me.

For us old members, if you remember, I posted on here about weather or not Murgo was 'pure' alaskan malamute or not. I also posted about how they were trying to 'back yard breed' the two pair. (the female was slightly under average size and the male Murgo is a giant size.)

The old owner of Murgo didn't want that dog to be a dog, he told everyone that no one can play or pet him because he is a 'breeding' dog. (stupid.)

Well, the female went into heat three different times and brought to the locked kennel and no puppies. (Yay.) If you remember, these dogs had nothing to improve the breed so glad it did not happen.

That being said, the old owner ended up really neglecting Murgo. (The female was sent with her owners down the lower 48 and were given to a family member because the appartments they wanted wouldn't keep dogs.) Not sure on her progress.

He would buy the large bad dog food, but would not interact with him and leave him tied up. (As you guys recalled, my hubby and I used to let him run and walk him.) Mainly because we felt sorry for the dog.

As you recalled, we tried to get him to give Murgo away or at least let someone buy him for 200 to 300 dollars. (Since he is greedy and that was why they wanted to breed the two purebred, so they can sell the pups 1000 each.) But when we finally worked him down, his wife jumped and refused. So, we started bugging her. (You want him, start treating him like a dog. Take him for walks, give him food, give him water, pet him, clean his crap.) her response, I got used to looking at him when I come home form work. I can never clean his mess as I've already finished cleaning messes from my children. (SHe's also scared of dogs.)

Well, one day, Murgo got lose and was accused of biting a child. (the little wify called us because she was 'scared' of the father of the child.) Now, i will show you a picture and Murgo is giant sized Malamute, so if he truely did 'bite' the child, (who was about 5 or 6 years old.) There would have been more damage.

They send the kid to the hospital, reported that Murgo bite the dog on their properity. I was more worried for Murgo because he has never shown any agression to any child when we would walk him. Infact, he avoided the children when they came running up to the 'big fluffy dog' and would try to call the dog.

The next day we went to see the child because my hubby knows the father and mother and she showed us the kid and there was a small scratch near his ear and he lose his 2 front teeth. (The mother said it was only 2 suturs.) In my opinion and a few others agree with me that the kid must have been pushed by Murgo's big weight and he fell down and maybe his nail scratched him by accedent. (Remember he was chained outside 24/7 with minimum contact) So when he got lose, it's a tied up dogs dream to roam everywhere until they get tired and head back home. (Which is probably what happened since they live a few blocks from the child who 'claimed' was bit.)

The police did take Murgo and locked him up for quaerentin for 10 days. The old owner, after that, wanted nothing more to do with the dog. So, I jumped in and I found a good family who would take him off the hands and he gladly accepted. Finally, he will become a real dog. So, I arranged the meeting at the dog pound, made the exchange and off he went.

His new name is Wishbone (the youngest child, 4 years old named him.) He has been brushed slowly, clipped, and bathed. He was left outside during the morning and day, but brought back inside for the night. (He isn't house trained so it that was their reason.) He has quickly understood that where he does his business is outside. He's had two accedents so far, but he will alert to the new owners that he wants to go outside.

The family has 5 children and they've been keeping a very close watch with the interaction and they say it has been two months so far and he hasn't even growled at them or showed he wanted to 'attack.' He loves being petted, he loves being inside with the family, and has adopted the man of the house as HIS pet. lol. We would have loved to take Murgo, but our landlord said under 15 lbs.

I've done a lot of self-reflecting about how I have been feeling and I finally brought it down to doggy blues with a hint of depression. I am very upset and depressed that Kuma isn't the dog I wanted him to be. I am getting discouraged with how he acts when it comes time for him to go outside. (It's usually worse when it's freezing outside.) He is even afraid of the wind blowing through the bushes. His confidence gets completely shot and it happens so quickly that you can't snap him out of it, even if you try to comfort him. My dream of walking down the street with his tail up and confident has been losts. I don't know what had happened, when we first got him, he never was like that. Even when cars drove by, his tail was still up and he was confident... Then, slowly, it seemed his confidence began to subside. First it was loud vehicles, and then, it was even the distant sound and he was shot. Tail tucked and he wanted to get as far away as possible. Now, I can't even get him to the road without his tail going inbetween his legs because he heard a car in the distant and him wanting to go back home.

The not being as playful with toys I could handle, but when I see other pepole walking their dogs, their head held high, their tails up, and confident. They make walking look like so much fun where as for me, it's now just a choir. I don't enjoy walks with him anymore. So much so that I've started walking other people's dogs just to get my fix and then gripping and groaning because Kuma isn't like those dogs. (And these dogs have been pounded and adopted.)

So, as I said, I did some self-reflection and I talked with hubby a lot about it and we agreed that Kuma would be his dog and that one day soon, I would get my puppy and have the confident dog I always wanted who could play. That being said, Kuma is going to be a dog like I said before.

He has his bed, he has a lap to sit on and be petted. No more training from me. That way, I won't get upset or angry when he feeds my new dog scraps from the table. and be petted on 24/7.

I'm going to continue doing what I have been doing in terms of having a confident dog to walk in borrowing other's dogs. (These are family members and very close friends.) This includes Murgo I mean Wishbone. ^_^

Kuma will live the rest of his life with us, just not as solely my dog. (I realize this isn[t Kuma's fault. It is his past owners or maybe it's how his parents were. Which ever it is, Hubby has happy with him just the way he is.) Go figure to hear that from a guy who isn't really a dog person.

Thank you to everyone who helped chime in in my last post. It really helped me out. Oh, and, it looks like that we will be moving this summer. (We are still debating. We like the benefits Alaska has to offer if we stay here, but it would be in a small city where we can drive out on the highway rather then fly to get out. or we might head into the lower 48 where it's more warmer during the winter and fall months then Alaska.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
So great to hear good updates for both dogs. Sounds like a great compromise for Kuma and for you.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Oops maybe it doesn't work with phone.

Attachments

Reactions: Sha
1 - 3 of 3 Posts