Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, okay so my 16 month old dog (German Shepherd/Lab/Staffy mix) is just having her first heat. From what I have read about heat cycles, the b**** is supposed to bleed for the first week or so (proestrus) and then the discharge is supposed to change to a pinkish-tan colour and this is when the b**** is fertile and willing to stand for breeding. Anyway I thought my female was starting to come on her first heat about 25 days ago but she only started bleeding about 19 days ago. She is still bleeding 19 days later and the discharge has not changed colour to a pinkish-tan. We have just got an 8 week old male pup however and it was unfortunate that she came on heat just after we had chosen him. He is showing a lot of interest in her and was actually trying to mount her. We have since separated them but when he sniffed her, she would actually shift her tail to the side and do this flirty play bow. I am really astounded because firstly, I didn't know a pup that young
would actually try to mount a dog even though he's not fertile yet, secondly, I didn't think her reaction was exactly normal (considering her persuer is a sexually immature 8 week old and that she's technically not even fertilei yet) and thirdly, she has been bleeding for 19 days straight and I'm a little concerned. Can anyone with some experience of b****es and heat cycles please tell me if this is normal.

So just to simplify it a bit:

1. Why is an 8 week old pup showing so much interest?
2. Why is my b**** liking the attention and actually encouraging it if not instigating it herself?
3. Why all this when she has not even reached estrus yet and is all this really abnormal or am I just worrying unnecessarily?

Thankyou to anyone who can provide any answers/advice/experience on this topic.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
From what I've read the bitch doesn't always match the period in which she's fertile to the period in which she's receptive.

As for your puppy, I've had neutered dogs that would try to mount a bitch in heat. Also while not a canine, I am a male and I can remember as a kind being interested in the opposite sex before I was fertile. I don't think they're completely related.

I have no personal experience with a bitch in heat though so hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

As an aside, I'd like to mention that a site called "Dog Forum" censoring the word "Bitch" is completely ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
A bitch in heat will flag males, pups and sometimes other female dogs. The hormones have control, not the brain. The pup is interested because dogs are very much interested in the scent of other dogs. They gather enormous amounts of information and to a male dog, even a puppy, the smell of a dog in season is vital information.

If you're concerned about the cycle length, etc. see your vet. The length is unusual but sometimes first heats are somewhat unusual. I'd want to make sure that there was no other medical condition going on, such as an infection.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just to throw this into the mix, I had a neutered adult dog that showed WAY too much interest in an in-heat, 6-mo-old kitten... And the kitten was all for it in her own little female in-heat kitten way. I was just floored, but as Grabby said, hormones have all the control...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts