Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
edit: I think this could've fit better in the housetraining section... whoops, sorry!

Hi! I'm sorry for asking so many things on here but I have more questions...

1. when I take my puppy outside he always tries to eat stuff (rocks, dead flowers, etc.) off my yard? How can I housetrain him if he does this?

2. apparently the breeder trained him to pee on a mat- sort of like the purpose of puppy pads, and at my house he still goes to the toilet in the house? Is it because he is unfamiliar with the place? (I suspect it is because I didn't clean his previous "accidents" thoroughly)

3. how can I transition him to go to the bathroom outside?

4. sometimes my dog will go to the bathroom on the mat but sometimes he doesn't? Why is this? Also sometimes he pees/poops next to the mat?

5. he's just had his second round of vaccines and apparently he's not allowed to wear the collar for a few days because he keeps scratching. So how do I put him on a leash?

Again, sorry for asking so many questions, and thanks in advance for answering!

Oh, one last thing, does this schedule look right?:

5.50 - wake up, toilet

6 - eat (7 spoons of kibble)

6.10 - toilet

6.15 - crate

9 - toilet

9.05 - play

9.45 - crate

12 - toilet

12.05 - crate

15 - toilet

15.05 - play

16 - crate

18 - eat (7 spoons of kibble, again)

18.10 - toilet

18.15 - play

19 - crate

21 - toilet

21.05 - sleep

^^he seems fine regarding the time he has in between toilet breaks; he's never soiled his crate and seems fine in it (not trying to escape, calm).

·
Registered
442 Posts
1. You need to leash him and keep him close enough so he can't do that kind of stuff
2. Are you still using puppy pads? Do you want him to be trained to pee inside (some people do) If not get rid of them! They have an attractant in them. If you let me know why you are still using them I can help more with this
3. He needs to be in one of these three places at all times...outside on his pee area, inside under close supervision or in his crate. If you need to leave for work for long hours, then you need a different setup. The goal is to prevent accidents because each accident reinforces him peeing in the house.
4. See number 2
5. Your times in between toilet look a bit long to me. Are you home with him all day? How old is he? I would shorten that to two hours and see if that helps. If he is crated, where is he peeing on the pads

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1. You need to leash him and keep him close enough so he can't do that kind of stuff
2. Are you still using puppy pads? Do you want him to be trained to pee inside (some people do) If not get rid of them! They have an attractant in them. If you let me know why you are still using them I can help more with this
3. He needs to be in one of these three places at all times...outside on his pee area, inside under close supervision or in his crate. If you need to leave for work for long hours, then you need a different setup. The goal is to prevent accidents because each accident reinforces him peeing in the house.
4. See number 2
5. Your times in between toilet look a bit long to me. Are you home with him all day? How old is he? I would shorten that to two hours and see if that helps. If he is crated, where is he peeing on the pads
1. but he is not allowed to be leashed until next week, apparently. That's what the vet said but idk if it's right?

2. yeah, it's because the breeder trained him to 'do his business' on the puppy pads. If I try to get him out in the yard he starts picking up sticks and stones and leaves and stuff.

3. he is, lol. Mostly when he has accidents I stop him in the middle of 'doing it' and bring him outside, but he won't continue it :( so I put him in his crate and try again 15 minutes later

5. he hasn't had any accidents in the crate so I think it's fine, but okay if it helps then I'll shorten it to 2 hours :) he is 4 months old. Btw, there's always someone home so bringing him outside in shorter intervals isn't a problem :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Oh sorry I missed that in your first post about the collar. I have a 10 week old puppy and I've had him on a harness and leash and the vet didn't mention not doing that.

If someone is always home get rid of the puppy pads. There are some times people need to use them, but it doesn't sound like you do. During the day, I would keep him in one of those three spots at all times (crate, pee spot or supervision).

At night I put my guy in an playard in my room and he does pee in there at night because he can't hold it all night yet. I use washable waterproof pads (not puppy pads).

Oh he's four months. Then three hours is probably fine but maybe shorter it until you get him going outside consistently then you can lengthen it again. You can even do it every hour to kickstart the process again

It sounds like you are starting from scratch since he prefers to go inside. :)

The other thing you can do that has helped me a lot is keep him on a leash in the house. This is an option under the "supervision" category. It's called umbilical cord training. Basically it helps you watch them without using the crate. I use both crate and tether during the day, along with supervision.

I think if you get rid of the puppy pads and do the crate/supervision training maybe starting every hour or two, you will get him back on track quickly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Oh sorry I missed that in your first post about the collar. I have a 10 week old puppy and I've had him on a harness and leash and the vet didn't mention not doing that.

If someone is always home get rid of the puppy pads. There are some times people need to use them, but it doesn't sound like you do. During the day, I would keep him in one of those three spots at all times (crate, pee spot or supervision).

At night I put my guy in an playard in my room and he does pee in there at night because he can't hold it all night yet. I use washable waterproof pads (not puppy pads).

Oh he's four months. Then three hours is probably fine but maybe shorter it until you get him going outside consistently then you can lengthen it again. You can even do it every hour to kickstart the process again

It sounds like you are starting from scratch since he prefers to go inside. :)

The other thing you can do that has helped me a lot is keep him on a leash in the house. This is an option under the "supervision" category. It's called umbilical cord training. Basically it helps you watch them without using the crate. I use both crate and tether during the day, along with supervision.

I think if you get rid of the puppy pads and do the crate/supervision training maybe starting every hour or two, you will get him back on track quickly.
Okay :) he keeps trying to eat the stuff from my yard though. I'm worried it will cause a blockage? Can I prevent him from doing this without a leash?

Also I have another question. When I'm not home, my mom says that the dog is... uh, less naughty? And why does he pee on the floor when I'm home but on the pads when I'm not? How can I fix this?

Edit: okay so I searched it up on the internet, and apparently it's because she is more strict on the dog and I'm too much of a pushover. I think it's true actually, because I forgive him easily after he does something wrong while my mom just puts him straight in the crate.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Okay :) he keeps trying to eat the stuff from my yard though. I'm worried it will cause a blockage? Can I prevent him from doing this without a leash?

Also I have another question. When I'm not home, my mom says that the dog is... uh, less naughty? And why does he pee on the floor when I'm home but on the pads when I'm not? How can I fix this?

Edit: okay so I searched it up on the internet, and apparently it's because she is more strict on the dog and I'm too much of a pushover. I think it's true actually, because I forgive him easily after he does something wrong while my mom just puts him straight in the crate.
You'll just have to follow him around and stop him from eating stuff if he's not leashed.

Hmm, I don't know why he would be doing that with your mom. Maybe you should have your mom take over house training :)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You'll just have to follow him around and stop him from eating stuff if he's not leashed.

Hmm, I don't know why he would be doing that with your mom. Maybe you should have your mom take over house training :)
lol yeah xD I think she's just more strict with him and I'm just all soft. but on another note, he just pooped on the mat! ahh! and I didn't even ask him to!!! I just left the door open! :D you know that feeling when your dog finally does it. btw I'm not starting outside potty training until I can put his collar on. also he is not leash trained so I should probably work on that first :'D

Reactions: KateBren

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re leash training....Once your vet gives the ok, if you use a harness, you don't have to worry about him hurting himself if he pulls too much. I see he's a mini. I've always used harnesses on all my dogs (all small)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re leash training....Once your vet gives the ok, if you use a harness, you don't have to worry about him hurting himself if he pulls too much. I see he's a mini. I've always used harnesses on all my dogs (all small)
okie dokie :D also I'm going to be gone on a 3 day trip next week and we are putting my dog in a pet hotel thing, which means he will have to pee in his crate. what do I do?

thanks for all your help btw :) very helpful :thumbsup:

·
Registered
442 Posts
okie dokie :D also I'm going to be gone on a 3 day trip next week and we are putting my dog in a pet hotel thing, which means he will have to pee in his crate. what do I do?

thanks for all your help btw :) very helpful :thumbsup:
Maybe I'm not sure what you mean by crate?

When people talk about a crate as in crate training for house training, they mean a crate where that is only big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around and rest. In other words, it's not big enough for the dog to pee in one area and sleep in another. You do not want a dog peeing in a crate like this, you will be defeating the whole point of crate training, which relies on the natural instinct of the dog not to want to lie in their own mess.

Now if it's a bigger crate, where there is room for the dog to have a place to rest and a place to go to the bathroom (and presumably has access to water and food), that is a different story.

I would just let the pet hotel do what they think is best, tell them he is not potty trained. If they are in the business of running a pet hotel, they will know what to do. Maybe they should just put pee pads down and let him pee and poop wherever while you are gone and you will have to re-start the training from scratch when you return.

Will he be staying in a crate/cage for three days, or a kennel-type small room?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Maybe I'm not sure what you mean by crate?

When people talk about a crate as in crate training for house training, they mean a crate where that is only big enough for the dog to stand up and turn around and rest. In other words, it's not big enough for the dog to pee in one area and sleep in another. You do not want a dog peeing in a crate like this, you will be defeating the whole point of crate training, which relies on the natural instinct of the dog not to want to lie in their own mess.

Now if it's a bigger crate, where there is room for the dog to have a place to rest and a place to go to the bathroom (and presumably has access to water and food), that is a different story.

I would just let the pet hotel do what they think is best, tell them he is not potty trained. If they are in the business of running a pet hotel, they will know what to do. Maybe they should just put pee pads down and let him pee and poop wherever while you are gone and you will have to re-start the training from scratch when you return.

Will he be staying in a crate/cage for three days, or a kennel-type small room?
ah, I don't know. I'm gonna ask them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
@KateBren he peed in his crate this morning... what could that mean? this is the second time and I think it's because it still smells of pee? am I doing something wrong?

edit: oh wait I know what I did wrong. nvm. I forgot to stop access to water 2 hours before sleep, whoops, my fault. do I have to clean it though?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Are you keeping him in the crate all night? (Crate meaning small like I mentioned above)
He is too young to hold it all night most likely (8 hrs)
So you need a pen where he can pee away from where he sleeps
Or you need to run him out in the middle of the night
This is if the crate is small, I don't know how big it is

Yes you need to clean it
Don't use an ammonia based product
They sell stuff for this you can get it in Petco
For now use some soap and water!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was just thinking, if you're going away next week anyway, you might as well give yourself and the pup a break from the crate training.

Do you have an exercise pen? Something like this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/8457890?...175035&wl11=online&wl12=8457890&wl13=&veh=sem

If I were you, I would set it up, line it with puppy pads, you can even put his food and water in there. For bedtime, set it up near your bed. Let him pee and poop away. Tell the pet hotel to do the same. If you don't have a pen, gate off a bathroom or something. When he's not in there, supervise him

In the meantime, I would really recommend reading Sophia Yin's book 7 Days to a Perfect Puppy.

Then re-start the housetraining when you get back, armed with more knowledge.

I realized the stuff I am telling you is in bits and pieces without context. I'm also not sure what you are doing and using (type of crates, pads, no leash) etc.

I think if you read her book, you'll get a better foundation and you can give it a go when you return

I don't mind helping! :) But I have to be honest, I kind of feel like I am not understanding the whole picture and in that case, my advice could be unhelpful

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was just thinking, if you're going away next week anyway, you might as well give yourself and the pup a break from the crate training.

Do you have an exercise pen? Something like this

https://www.walmart.com/ip/8457890?...175035&wl11=online&wl12=8457890&wl13=&veh=sem

If I were you, I would set it up, line it with puppy pads, you can even put his food and water in there. For bedtime, set it up near your bed. Let him pee and poop away. Tell the pet hotel to do the same. If you don't have a pen, gate off a bathroom or something. When he's not in there, supervise him

In the meantime, I would really recommend reading Sophia Yin's book 7 Days to a Perfect Puppy.

Then re-start the housetraining when you get back, armed with more knowledge.

I realized the stuff I am telling you is in bits and pieces without context. I'm also not sure what you are doing and using (type of crates, pads, no leash) etc.

I think if you read her book, you'll get a better foundation and you can give it a go when you return

I don't mind helping! :) But I have to be honest, I kind of feel like I am not understanding the whole picture and in that case, my advice could be unhelpful
okay I'll try to find the book!

yeah I have an exercise pen :) (well technically baby gates but it works). also I let my dog out and actually he doesn't eat the stuff, he just carries it and bites it but then spits it out again. also today he successfully peed and pooped 2 times each outside today :) but he also peed inside twice :( but I think that's my fault cause I gave him like 2 bowls of water. also now my dog pees in his crate sometimes? do I need to do something because he keeps doing it? usually he can hold it up to 3 hours? (I think it's because he drinks a LOT more water now though and I have to take him out more often...)

I really don't want to have to start over on this but I guess I have no choice, do I? :p

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@KateBren oh great, the pet hotel only takes out their dogs in the morning and evening. I really don't want to start over; he's been doing so well, and now-- I don't know what to do. :headbash:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I don't think that taking a break from what you are doing now is going to be a big deal.

I would really try to get that book (it's on Amazon/Kindle). It's an easy read and the best part is it's full of pictures. (Sophia Yin 7 Days to a Perfect Puppy) The housetraining section is excellent.

Don't limit his water. He should have open access to water all day. People sometimes take it away an hour or two before bed. I don't do that yet, maybe later I will.

The pet hotel only walks them twice a day? Well then he will need puppy pads all day and all night.

Take a breather, read the book, start fresh when you get home. :thumbsup:

How big is the crate?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I don't think that taking a break from what you are doing now is going to be a big deal.

I would really try to get that book (it's on Amazon/Kindle). It's an easy read and the best part is it's full of pictures. (Sophia Yin 7 Days to a Perfect Puppy) The housetraining section is excellent.

Don't limit his water. He should have open access to water all day. People sometimes take it away an hour or two before bed. I don't do that yet, maybe later I will.

The pet hotel only walks them twice a day? Well then he will need puppy pads all day and all night.

Take a breather, read the book, start fresh when you get home. :thumbsup:

How big is the crate?
will do :) it's around 60cm x 50cm (sorry I don't do inches). sorry for the mini breakdown earlier, I had a bad day and sometimes I just need a little space :p I left him in the crate and had some "me time" and thankfully he didn't have an accident in his crate. I clean his messes up with this btw:https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solut...01DK9KO6W/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_pdt_img_top?ie=UTF8

·
Registered
442 Posts
Ok so the crate sounds small enough for him for cratetraining later. If it's too big, they will pee in one spot and sleep in the other!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.