Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be fun to make a small "guide to dogs" according to our collective expertise and experience. One of the things I had in mind was listing a lot of breeds and saying whether we think they're suitable for "Beginner Dog Owners" "Intermediate Experienced Owners" and "Very Experienced Owners". We could also list dogs that we think are the highest and lowest energy, highest intelligence, highest and lowest maintenance for grooming, good apartment dogs, etc.

Anyone else want to try something like this? :) It could be made into a sticky and there for new members looking for dogs.

Reactions: Chas

·
Registered
572 Posts
good idea in theory but I wouldn't necessarily go with the good for first time owners and experienced owners stuff. That can really hurt dogs and people as some first time owners would do better with difficult dogs than with easy dogs (I was one of them)

I'd suggest more a long the line of, for active owners, for sports owners, for owners who don't mind lots of grooming, for 1 dog house holds, for houses with/without cats. Type deal where the breed traits can make or break something.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
good idea in theory but I wouldn't necessarily go with the good for first time owners and experienced owners stuff. That can really hurt dogs and people as some first time owners would do better with difficult dogs than with easy dogs (I was one of them)

I'd suggest more a long the line of, for active owners, for sports owners, for owners who don't mind lots of grooming, for 1 dog house holds, for houses with/without cats. Type deal where the breed traits can make or break something.
i like this idea more.
Some beginners are a better for a specific breed even if it has special needs than a lot of experienced owners.
it depends more on the willingness of the owner to make it work and finding a dog that fits their life than that there are really beginner breeds.

if you're experienced with relatively "slow learning", "think twice before you move", "quiet with protection instinct" large breeds you may be in over your head with a "speedy" like a Border Collie or a Jack Russel Terrier, while the same breeds can be an awesome fit for some beginners if they're willing to exercise and work with them the way they need it.
dog breeds are so different that even when you have loads of dogs...if they were all of the same or similar type there's a chance you feel like a beginner with a very different type if dog.

·
Registered
572 Posts
i like this idea more.
Some beginners are a better for a specific breed even if it has special needs than a lot of experienced owners.
it depends more on the willingness of the owner to make it work and finding a dog that fits their life than that there are really beginner breeds.

if you're experienced with relatively "slow learning", "think twice before you move", "quiet with protection instinct" large breeds you may be in over your head with a "speedy" like a Border Collie or a Jack Russel Terrier, while the same breeds can be an awesome fit for some beginners if they're willing to exercise and work with them the way they need it.
dog breeds are so different that even when you have loads of dogs...if they were all of the same or similar type there's a chance you feel like a beginner with a very different type if dog.

Exactly,
even as a beginner I was always better with more aloof and too smart for their own good breeds. But most breeds with those qualities are deemed "only for experienced owners"
I did very well with mu huskies and American Eskie.

Something like a lab or most companion dogs really annoy me with how clingy they are.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts