Dog Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ARegesEPort.jpg
Hi - I'm new here too so thought I would also start by introducing myself with a painting. This is a portrait I did of my own black Lab, OtterTail Eponine. She is a real sweetheart! I currently own 5 Labs and a cat. I have owned and loved many Labs over the years and they have all been the inspiration behind my artwork. I also rescue Labs myself and foster Labs and mix breeds for local rescue groups. Before Labs I always owned mixes - I have a soft spot for all dogs, but Labradors really stole my heart. I got my first Lab in 1986 and have been involved in training, showing, obedience trials and other fun activities with my dogs ever since.

Nice to have found this forum. If you would like to see more of my OtterTail Lab Art, please visit http://OtterTailArt.com
Happy Holidays to all!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sivaro :). I love the blacks too. It is a shame that they are the least likely to be adopted from shelters and the most likely to be euthanized. When it comes to pictures, they are difficult to photograph well and a fun challenge to paint.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Wow, I had no idea that they were disfavored among the lab variations that way. Personally, I prefer black labs over chocolate labs, and I'm torn about whether I prefer black labs to yellow or vice versa. Of course, I had two black labs while growing up, so that likely influences my preference to some degree.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it is really a shame. Historically blacks were always favored, but after the yellows and chocolates became "acceptable" it evened out and eventually the scale totally tipped to yellows and chocolates among pet owners. There is a constant plea from shelters for people to adopt or rescue groups to take the black dogs - especially the boys. Blacks are still popular with breeders for dog shows and field trials. Personally, I love the shiny black coat and soft brown eyes, but I love a pretty yellow or chocolate Lab as well. I have all 3 colors right now and that's the way I like it :).

·
Registered
11 Posts
lovely paintings there Ottertail.... you hve really captured the true beauty of these dogs... black dogs are not an easy subject... Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Paul :). Your work is beautiful. I enjoyed visiting your website where I was particularly smitten by the Kingfisher. My style is more simplified - trying to capture the essence or feeling of a moment in time fits my personality, but I admire your realistic paintings very much.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Indeed you have captured the true beauty of labs! You also serve as an inspiration and looking at you work I promise myself to do portraits of my dals. I doubt I can be that successful though. Is it oil or acrylic? Do you have other paintings? I can only imagine what they look in real life if they are so good in photos!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for your kind words, Mirta. Most of my paintings are acrylics. I have other paintings on my website and sell prints through my on-line galleries. If you visit you will see that I make a lot of silly style designs as well as the type I have shown here. I also make sculptures, paintings on silk scarves and other fabric items, and designs in wood.

Painting dog portraits is fairly new for me. The one at the top of this thread was my first attempt a few years ago. Don't be worried about how your Dal painting comes out before you start. Dive in and have fun!! I hope you will share them here when you are done :).

Amy

·
Registered
2 Posts
hiya ottertail maybe you would like to enter a contest i am going to run to see who can paint my two perils the best!!LOL

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Bubumo :). I am currently working on a chocolate Lab pup painting for my Let Sleeping Dogs Lie series. Been busy with other jobs, so it's sitting on my easel calling to me. Must have all 3 colors of Labs equally represented :D. I love them all!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts