Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 26lb terrier mix that is about 18 months old. I feed her Newman's Own Organics Adult dog food. I feed her 1 boiled egg and the dog food in the morning. The total volume of this feeding doesn't exceed 1 cup. In the evening I feed her 1 cup of the dog food.

Do you all think 1 boiled egg a day for a dog is too much? I give her less dog food in the morning so I'd think the calorie intake roughly evens out. Tori loves boiled eggs and I think the overall effects of her diet including an egg are very positive. Her coat shines and she doesn't shed as much. Also, her energy level seems adequate.

Thank you in advance for feedback.

Hyper

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hi hyper. eggs are not on the do not feed list of foods. I don't know of any studies or if there is such a thing as too many though. If she has no chicken allergy or tummy issues, and tolerates them I can't see why it matters. I might only give a few a week instead of every day but that's me. And I bet your vet would say in moderation, but so what? she likes it and you like it. Case closed. :)

I'm not a nutritionist or anything...that's just my point oh two.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
Hello,

Do you all think 1 boiled egg a day for a dog is too much? I give her less dog food in the morning so I'd think the calorie intake roughly evens out. Tori loves boiled eggs and I think the overall effects of her diet including an egg are very positive. Her coat shines and she doesn't shed as much. Also, her energy level seems adequate.

Thank you in advance for feedback.

Hyper

e. Eggs are great to feed, and can be fed cooked or raw. We recommend no more than a couple of eggs a week, if fed raw. Cooked eggs can be fed a little more frequently.
Feeding Your Dog

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
You'll want to watch the over all intake of RAW eggs as the whites contain avidin (a protein) which binds with Biotin (a B vitamin, found in the yolk), thus making it unavailible to the body. As such I recommend not feeding RAW eggs with every meal so as to be sure you're not affecting the dog's Biotin intake. However cooking changes the avidin so this isn't a problem.

I know quite a few people who feed an egg a day (including me). Eggs are a VERY GOOD form of protein, and a fairly signifigant list of vitamins and minerals (including D which can get hard to find in food form). You can even feed it shell on for some extra calcium.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
:eyeroll:

You can end up with a fat dog on nothing but kibble and treats too. Its not even hard.
Took the words right out of my mouth, Ruth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts