Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 weeks ago, I enrolled Aspen in a new training facility. I had done a lot of her basic stuff myself with the help of Dog Forum and YouTube. Last fall, I brought her to a local place for some basic obedience because I wanted to add in distractions. The place was fine, nothing amazing but offered very limited classes.

I have big plans for this girl, starting with CGC certification and Agility training. I set out to find a training facility that offered all of this AND PR training (hard to find in my area). I found one that looked the part and emailed them. They offer different levels of Basic Obedience, Rally, Breed Handling, Agility, CGC classes and testing, among others. I emailed them with everything that Aspen knew how to do and they placed us in a beginners obedience class. I was TOTALLY fine with that for a couple of reasons. One, they don't know us. I'm sure a lot of people say that their dog knows this and that and the dog is actually out of control. Two, I'm a firm believer that it can't ever hurt to review the basics in a new environment with new distractions.

We have completed 3 weeks of classes. I have added some level of difficulty to tasks that we were asked to do, just so Aspen didn't get bored. I explained that to the trainer because I didn't want her to be offended that we weren't following her exact instructions. She totally understood. A few days ago, I emailed the facility and asked when the next level would be starting because I'd like to keep her going. They gave me the start date and I signed up.

I just received an email from the woman telling me that the trainer said Aspen is too advanced for the class we're in and wants to move her up a level for the remaining 3 weeks. I'm so proud. :) I'm also impressed that the facility would do this. I was not at all complaining about being in a 'lower level' class and I signed up for the next level. They could have just kept taking my money. Instead, I'll jump in to the new class now and get a discount on the next session.

Sorry this turned into such a long post!

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Sounds like an awesome place! And a place that you and Aspen can grow with! Those clubs are a dime a dozen!

Reactions: Aspen726

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We can grow here and that's something that really makes me excited. :) I like all of the diverse classes that they offer. I like the staff. I like the atmosphere.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Now do they have a group that does the type of therapy you wanna do? Or do they have a team that you could eventually compete with in agility if you wanted to?

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agility- yes. Therapy- no.

I figured I would talk to the CGC trainer and she could point me in the right direction regarding therapy.

I'm really excited to be able to get her CGC done sooner rather than later because I'd like to do my Fall Honors Project on Pet Therapy. I thought it would be cool if I could bring her in. I'll explain that she's not therapy certified yet, but on the road there. I think I'll have an easier time getting the powers that be to allow me to bring her in if she is at least CGC certified.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
Looks like a great place. I watched a few of the agility trainers videos, She looks like a great handler. Seems like someone that would be nice to learn from. Looks like a great find!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I love that they recognized Aspen's advanced status and are bumping her up to the next level! They sound like a great facility and a great fit for you and Aspen. Keep up the good work, mom! :)

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Yay!!! You must be so proud of her! :)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
That is awesome! Congrats :)

Ella only had like 2 months of basic ob. Life happened and we had to travel a lot and couldn`t go to classes anymore. I`m thinking about re-enrolling because in retrospect, that class and DF was the best thing that ever happened to us, lol. The most useful and solid commands came from that class. Really good PR trainer.

She`s very picky with other dogs and can have bad doggie reactivity but after first 2 weeks she was fine with other dogs there (on leash of course). We really need to start again....

Just a side not, once we missed classes 3 weeks in a row because of her heat and when we finally were able to join again, the trainer asked where we had been and when I told her that we couldn`t come because Ella had her heat, she sort of scowled and said that "Heat is not a disease and you still could have come". How awesome is that? :) ps all dogs are leashed in that class.

You`re inspiring :)

·
Premium Member
7,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our first class last night was wonderful! :)

It's much more her level. There were some exercises that really made Aspen think, which is great! We have some homework to work on this week and I'm excited to get going on it!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.