Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mikey has this...quirk. It's bizarre, and I've never heard of it before.

He seems to 'fake' injuries :eek:

For instance, he'll be running and playing in the yard, and stumble. He's stop, SCREAM (not a yelp-this is a huge YELP) and hold his paw up and keep screaming until I run up and check it.
I check his claws (Because it sounds like one is ripped off!) and then check to make sure every joint is flexing properly and there is no heat.

It's always the same-no blood, no heat, no broken skin, no broken nail, no nothing. Then he trots off like nothing happened.

He will not stop screaming until I run up and check it.

Tonight at the dog park he was tearing around with a retriever he likes and did this-screaming. He was half a field away and the other dog's owner was profusely apologizing for her dog hurting my dog. I quickly explained -he's not hurt, he's faking, he does it all the time.

I called to Mikey (because he was sitting there screaming, and holding his paw up) that I was coming....to which he replied by promptly tearing over to me at full speed, scooting to a stop, and holding his 'injured' paw up again. As usual,no injury and once I'd checked him he took off to play again.

I am leaning towards-he's doing this for attention-but why in the middle of play? And he definitely gets LOTS of attention.

Anyone heard of this before? Any ideas?

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
hahahah....yes....two possiblities...lol

It worked once, and he remembered it... I scream I get attention...so now he does it...I wouldn't be surprised if he starts holding up the wrong paw...I've seen them try and pull that one off too... :)

OR its called the shiba scream...perhaps you have a new breed guess on the table... hehe

My dog Scooter would do this, except he'd scream when he didn't want to do som'thing....you'd gently move him away from a doorway and he'd react like he was being beaten...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
22,635 Posts
hahahah....yes....two possiblities...lol

It worked once, and he remembered it... I scream I get attention...so now he does it...I wouldn't be surprised if he starts holding up the wrong paw...I've seen them try and pull that one off too... :)

OR its called the shiba scream...perhaps you have a new breed guess on the table... hehe

My dog Scooter would do this, except he'd scream when he didn't want to do som'thing....you'd gently move him away from a doorway and he'd react like he was being beaten...
my cocker spaniel learned to hold her paw up in a similar way. she got a broken toe (my sister opened the door over her foot on accident) and had to wear a splint on her foot for a while. whenever she wanted attention she would come and sit in front of you and wave her splinted foot around whimpering. of course, she always got it, who could resist a cocker spaniel putting on such a show! anyway, for the rest of her life, whenever she wanted attention, she would come over whimpering and waving a paw around
what is a "shiba scream"? i gotta google this....i assume you're thinking mikey could be shiba inu...that is a good possibity

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"i assume you're thinking mikey could be shiba inu...that is a good possibity "

Now THAT would be funny-that's the breed dbf wanted to buy before I found Mikey.

I'm so glad to hear that other dogs have done that before-I've never heard of it and want to make sure we aren't overlooking some real problem ;)

·
Registered
18,782 Posts
my cocker spaniel learned to hold her paw up in a similar way. she got a broken toe (my sister opened the door over her foot on accident) and had to wear a splint on her foot for a while. whenever she wanted attention she would come and sit in front of you and wave her splinted foot around whimpering. of course, she always got it, who could resist a cocker spaniel putting on such a show! anyway, for the rest of her life, whenever she wanted attention, she would come over whimpering and waving a paw around
what is a "shiba scream"? i gotta google this....i assume you're thinking mikey could be shiba inu...that is a good possibity

Yeah, if they don't like som'thing they scream at you. lol

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts