Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi and thanks,

So things have been mostly fine, vet noticed enlarged testicle during recent exam and suggested castration w biopsy. So this recommendation is standard, but curious if the other work is worth it for the cost and possible stress to the dog?

i.e.

• Fine needle aspiration or biopsy
  • Abdominal and scrotal ultrasound
Primal raw GF diet, moderate exercise. Recent senior panel came back with a just slightly elevated WBC in the urine but no bacteria in the sample. Started back the Standard Process Immuplex and Catalyn 3 weeks ago.

tia~

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'd have it all done, well worth it to make sure there are no other problems and, if the enlargement is cancer, the other tests are the simplest, most basic ones to see it it has spread.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Any time there is an enlargement, or potential tumor, IMO it should be dealt with as quickly and aggressively as is feasible.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most testicular tumours are benign and those that are not are slow to spread. They can cause other problems though such as bone marrow suppression and prostate problems. Castration normally completely cures the condition. Sending the testicle for histology would be my preference and an abdominal ultrasound prior to surgery would be a great addition if possible

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback all. I think I'll have him castrated and of course send the testicle for a biopsy.

I was a bit concerned about the castration and any behavioral changes but at 9 yrs the bone and developmental benefits I saw for having him intact is behind him mostly and any of my concerns around this is far outweighed by any issue within the enlarged testicle as you mention.

Thanks again.

ps- what's the recovery time after castrat at this age? He's tried to yank off bandages for a dew claw issue so assume the cone for a week is my best route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts