Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, this post is on behalf of my parents. Some backstory in case any of it is relevant. My childhood pet Molly is a 9 y/o pug who had a kidney stone when she was 3 and was on science diet until February when I convinced my parents to switch Molly and my dog Bandit to a raw diet. After I moved out my parents started grinding all of Molly's food and only adding bone meal to her diet instead of whole bones. The food she had was a mix of chicken, pork and a small amount of goat meat and some chicken liver. Molly started having diarrhea (which I explained was most likely because of the wrong ratio of organ to bone) So my parents switched her to a Rachel Ray food that they found at Wal-Mart. I looked it up on Dog Food adviser and was less then impressed. When I explained this to my mother and showed her some alternatives she decided that when the bag of Rachel Ray food was done she would switch her to Natures Variety Raw boost. After this problem started they put her back on some of the science diet that they had left over, its been two days. She is also close to two years behind on her vaccinations, which will be fixed at her vet visit Monday.

I don't know if any of that is relevant, but Molly has been having a very bad wet cough for two-three days now. I am home for the day and I have heard it myself and it sounds almost like there's something stuck in her throat or maybe she's congested. They have a vet appointment for her on Monday but I was wondering if anyone here had experienced something similar or had any ideas. My dad did some research online and found many people whose older pugs had the same problem but no solutions or explanations. Please let me know if you've experienced anything similar. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
In old dogs it is sometimes heart problems that cause a wet cough. It is important that your dad gets her to the Vet for a check up. Hope nothing is found though! Vaccinations if she is sick should be reconsidered as when she gets vaccinated there is a time period where the immune system is attacked..........let her get well before you vaccinate. Also vaccinate for only what is absolutely needed. Look up Dr Dodds vaccine protocol.
Good for you for getting him to purchase better quality food, it can only help!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know thank you! I'll update when we find out what the vet says on Monday. She has to get Rabies done because it's illegal in Florida for it to be expired but I'll see if they can hold off on the other vaccines.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Molly's vet appt. is at 10 today (about two hours from now) and I'll update you guys on what happens. We think it may be a blockage in her throat because she had torn apart a stuffed toy right before the cough started and we think she may have some stuffing caught in her throat. I'm hoping that its that and not some sort of heart issue. But I'll post as soon as I know, they're gonna call me at work and tell me as soon as they know.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final update! Molly went to the vet and she was diagnosed with Bronchitis. 120$ worth of antibiotics and hopefully she'll be feeling good as new soon! I was really worried for her but I'm feeling much better about it now.

Reactions: LuvMyFluff and Chas
1 - 6 of 6 Posts