Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am really struggling with my 9 week old whippet (yes i have been naive in how easy this puppy thing was going to be) but i do want to make sure I am doing all the right things...

His nighttime whimpering is out of this world - I was advised and read about the method of leaving him to it and ignoring him till morning. He is left in the kitchen with crate open, access to water and door closed. It has been 10 days, and he is still crying most the night

- is this normal?
- when can i expect him to ease off?

It's the same with leaving him alone for an hour or 2 or even if i pop upstairs for a shower, he cannot bear to be apart...

I do try the separation in stages approach, leave him in the kitchen then reappear lengthening the time each time - i just feel like he's not getting it. I kno i need to be patient, he is only a baby!

I am seeking hope, experience and encouragement from 'been-there-done-that' puppy owners. It would be good to hear how long the process took :)

Thanks

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
You're right, he's a baby and he's scared. He has been taken away from all that is familiar to him.

How many times are you taking him out at night? He needs to go out at least 2-3 times over the course of the night to go to the bathroom. Some of his crying may be related to that.

Otherwise, I would put his crate up next to your bed so that he can hear and smell you near him. Over time, as he gets more comfortable, you can slowly move him away and transition him to sleeping somewhere else, but right now he needs to feel safe and secure.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If you've had him 10 days and he's only 9 weeks old, you got him too young. Eight weeks is doable, barely, but 10 to 12 weeks is really much better for the pup. This could be part of why he's taking a little longer to adjust.

Yes, he's just a baby and probably lonely and scared. Some people have had success in bringing the kennel into the bedroom, so the pup isn't quite so all alone and when the pup cries perhaps a quick pet or reassurance. Recent research has demonstrated that dog's emotional life isn't a lot different from human's, and its no longer considered ok to leave human babies crying for hours on end, as it interferes with their ability to trust/attach to other people. The same may hold true of a puppy; leaving them to cry it out may work, but it may also result in a less trusting, confident dog.

And, as @PoppyKenna said, he might still be needing a potty break or three.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Both,

We were advised to try him the kitchen with crate open so he can eliminate - so the whimpering isn’t because he needs the toilet..

I know it's because he misses us - we have done the cold turkey thing for a week now, some nights he does ease off and stop crying for a bit. He has started defecating all over the kitchen floor now tho :( so i feed him earlier hoping he might not need to go in the night. This is probably because he is so stressed out.

Having him in the bedroom isn’t really an option and i don’t want to have to sleep downstairs. All i can do is wait it out and hope he gets better - if i had known 8 weeks was too young i would have held off - poor thing, i know it’s not his fault. He is stressed and we are too :(

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
He's started dedicating on the kitchen floor because he needs to be taken outside for the toilet during the night, that's how you toilet train them. At such a young age expecting him to not do the toilet when left alone the entire night isn't realistic.

He needs to be taken out every few hours until he is old enough to hold it. Also leaving the crate door open is allowing him to wander around more and is less likely to settle.

I suggest taking his crate up and putting it near your bed to allow him to settle and so you can take him out for the bathroom. Any space you have near your bed for him crate will make this a whole lot easier and less stressful for you all

Reactions: Dia and Sha

·
Premium Member
4,599 Posts
Agree with previous posters. He needs to go out at night, he simply cannot hold it that long, so that's why he is going to the bathroom in the kitchen. Is there a reason you don't take him outside to potty? Having him eliminate in the kitchen is going to be a tough habit to break. Levi was crate trained, and while he doesn't sleep in it anymore, it was such a fantastic tool for potty training. When he was a baby, we had a night time potty schedule: Bed time at 10, and then I set the following alarms: 12:00, 3:00, and we woke up between 5 and 6. If he was asleep when the alarms went off, I went back to sleep. If he cried before the alarms, we woke up and went out. It sucked for about two weeks, and then he got over it.
You also said sleeping in the bedroom isn't an option? Can I ask why?

Reactions: Dia and Sha

·
Registered
495 Posts
Reactions: Dia
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.