Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the sweetest 9-week-old dachshund puppy. The good news is she's obsessed with me. The bad news is she's obsessed with me. ;)

I have been trying to crate train her so I can go back to work next week. The good part is I work across the street, so I can run over and let her our every couple of hours until she can be in there a little longer. The longest I plan to crate her is 4 hours at a time.

My problem (as I'm sure many have experienced) is that the poor girl just cries and it's so pitiful and sad! I have been trying to get her used to it gradually, (shut the door for 1 second, then 2, etc... but I can't seem to get past the 10 second hump. She inevitable starts crying every time.

I'm to the point where I only have a few days before having to go back to work whether she is used to 1 1/2-2 hour time periods or not. What else can I do?! The time I had to leave her for about an hour she cried for 20 minutes and then settled down. Other times it's been 10 minutes ish. Is letting her cry it out breaking her cute little spirit? If I keep doing this will she catch on and get over it with time? I guess I just need a little reassurance that letting her cry for a bit is okay. Ughhhh my tender heart...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
434 Posts
She's crying because it works and you open the door and let her out. LOL You're rewarding the crying. Next time, wait until she's quiet before you open the door--even if its only for a second or two. You don't have to wait long before you give the reward. Allow her to play in the crate with you with the door open so she'll equate the crate with having fun. Make it comfy in there. I used to put a towel over the top to make it more like a little den so the puppy felt safe in there.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It's ok. Let her cry a little bit. Ten minutes isn't that bad
You do need to ignore them when they are crying or you are encouraging them to keep doing it
I think when you go back to work, it will all fall into place
You will have to go, and she will be fine
You sound like a very caring and sensitive owner :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't make a big deal about putting her in the crate - she's probably picking up on the stress and anxiety you're feeling about it. Calmly and matter-of-factly put her in there, talking to her in a confident, calm voice, walk away, and don't look back. She will whine and cry but it will be a shorter period each time and probably last 3 days tops. Put something in the crate with her that she'll really love - a kong filled with peanut butter or whatever treat she really enjoys.

Good luck, and STEP AWAY FROM THE CRATE! :)
Sue

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. She's made a lot of progress the past two days, and I'm feeling a lot better about it. A couple of times she hasn't even cried at all, so it looks like she is realizing I will always come back.

Oh, and in case I didn't make it clear in my original post, I have not rewarded her whining and crying once. I have only taken her out when she has been quiet. Haha I did my research people! Just needed a little reassurance is all...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad she's settling down a bit now, things will improve as she realizes that you're always going to come back for her. I love Dachshund's, adorable dogs (as they all are!)

·
Banned
283 Posts
I have the sweetest 9-week-old dachshund puppy. The good news is she's obsessed with me. The bad news is she's obsessed with me. ;)

I have been trying to crate train her so I can go back to work next week. The good part is I work across the street, so I can run over and let her our every couple of hours until she can be in there a little longer. The longest I plan to crate her is 4 hours at a time.

My problem (as I'm sure many have experienced) is that the poor girl just cries and it's so pitiful and sad! I have been trying to get her used to it gradually, (shut the door for 1 second, then 2, etc... but I can't seem to get past the 10 second hump. She inevitable starts crying every time.

I'm to the point where I only have a few days before having to go back to work whether she is used to 1 1/2-2 hour time periods or not. What else can I do?! The time I had to leave her for about an hour she cried for 20 minutes and then settled down. Other times it's been 10 minutes ish. Is letting her cry it out breaking her cute little spirit? If I keep doing this will she catch on and get over it with time? I guess I just need a little reassurance that letting her cry for a bit is okay. Ughhhh my tender heart...

Thanks in advance!
The crate thing I just don't get. Why do you need to put your dog in a cage?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts