Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have had a St Bernard puppy since he was 8 weeks old and he is the most adorable, handsome, gentle companion a man could ask for!

But lately he has been exhibiting some slightly concerning behaviour. Since the day i got him he has always been very sociable he loves hanging out with other dogs and is always wanting to go up and say hello to as many as possible (Much to some of their annoyance) :D Same goes with people, he has always been a bit of a poser and he loves the attention.

Well that was too recently in the last 2/3 weeks he has been increasingly intolerant of people coming up and wanting to pet him. When we are out on walks he has no problem with any passing people, dogs or any other organisms he may encounter but recently when people have come up trying to pet him he tries to hide behind me and barks quite aggressively at them. It doesn't happen with every single person but the percentage of people that he is having that reaction to is increasing.

Does any one know why he is displaying this behaviour? I am quite perplexed by it in all honesty. He wouldn't hurt a fly and anyone that comes in our house he still loves and laps the attention up. On his walks though its a different matter and because of his rarity in London every person wants to come up and say hello so it is quite unnerving now that he doesn't seem to welcome the petting.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would love to hear what others have to say about this. My 5 month old cockapoo has exhibited some of the same behavior changes over the last month. He will freeze and lay down when he sees another dog come, has started barking at other dogs that walk by our yard which he never did before, and will shy away from people who try to pet him. Make me very concerned that he might be getting anxiety and become aggressive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would love to hear what others have to say about this. My 5 month old cockapoo has exhibited some of the same behavior changes over the last month. He will freeze and lay down when he sees another dog come, has started barking at other dogs that walk by our yard which he never did before, and will shy away from people who try to pet him. Make me very concerned that he might be getting anxiety and become aggressive.
Hey, was your dog really sociable before this point? If my St Bernard sees any other dogs or people he doesnt react and just carries on like normal. It is just when people approach him that he seems to have a problem. How does your dog react to people he hasn't met coming into your home?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hey, was your dog really sociable before this point? If my St Bernard sees any other dogs or people he doesnt react and just carries on like normal. It is just when people approach him that he seems to have a problem. How does your dog react to people he hasn't met coming into your home?

He always LOVED people, especially kids. I would walk him to my daughter's school to pick her up and he loved begin pet and lavished with attention. If we are walking by someone on the street, he might look at them, occasionally wag his tail. But then sometimes if they come over to say hi he will suddenly act shy and back away. And then other times he will jump all over the place and get excited and act crazy. I am really trying to have him sit calmly to meet people but it has been hard and so many people reach out to pet him b/c he is so cute- he looks like a little stuffed animal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.