Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 9 month old Jack Russel X Chihuahua, he a happy VERY friendly litle thing, however in the last few months he will refuse to go on any walks unless me and my husband walk him together, he will only walk so far and then just refuse, I have tried treats, this works for a few steps and then he figures it out and sits down again refusing to go any further and pulling back to the direction of the house or car.

As soon as me and my husband walk him together he is completely fine, like a totally different dog. I can't think of anything that has made him this way, like I say this happens anywhere really and not just certain places.

Has anyone else had this problem, and tips at all? I really don't know what else to do.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Each dog is an individual with his or her own likes and dislikes. Our Samantha didn't want to walk, hated being a leash. I just over time worked with her, and increased the length and time, but to this day, there are some days she just will not walk, and others she will willingly walk, at least some distance. With Samantha, we never go more than a mile or so, and even then it has to be cool weather. At this time of year, as much as she hates heat, our walks are very early morning. or very short. Example, yesterday morning at around 6:30am we walked a good mile or so, this morning we managed about 800 feet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a relief to know it not only is have this sort of issue. I'm just worries that if I go home when I'm starts refusing to walk, he's just getting his own way and not learning. Half the time we only make it to the end of the road.

It's not an issue when there is the two of us, just somtimes that can be tricky. I just worry that we are doing something wrong but I have tried so many things. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
My 5 month-old puppy is a pain when walking from our house, no matter who is with him. I am the most successful if I have one of my kids holding the leash and I walk in front of him. If I put him in the car and drive him someplace, he is much more likely to walk without much fuss. So for now I try to drive someplace when I can for a walk just to maintain my sanity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi,

He's only a 4kg dog with little legs, tried the jogging but he can't go very far and still stops.

That's what we do I walk infornt and my husband holds the lead. And yes my dog is the same if we drive somewhere not the street he's fine, but in a few months it will start getting dark early so all the places we go now won't be lit enough for a walk.

When I go to family's or friends he will walk round those streets no problem, just seems places that we've walk him together are the places he will refuse to ever walk with one person. The other day we was walking around a big park (where he's been so many times) my husband had to run back to the car to grab somthing so we kept walking and as soon as he noticed he'd gone that was it he stopped walking and just sat there.

I'm just at a lost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts