Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. I have had my little Norwegian Elkhound buddy since he was 8 weeks old and he was quickly housetrained, nearly in two weeks of getting him. He is now 8 months old and up until a few weeks ago, he had not been having any accidents in the house since he was probably 11 weeks old.

He was only Blue food originally, but it made him super gassy so I switched him to grain-free Taste of the Wild. For the past few 3+ weeks I had been slowly switching him over, mixing the foods together so he would get used to it. He had some diarrhea at first, but was quickly resolved with some rice / oatmeal. I had originally though the food change was to blame for his sudden defecating in the house since one incident involved very sloppy mushy feces. These past eight times? Nope, solid normal stools.

What is going on, people?! The other night I took him out at 10:30pm, he went #1 and #2, but then somehow, in the middle of the night or early morning, he went before 6am in the house! Or in another instance, I took him out at 6pm right after he ate, he went #1 and #2 and then defecated in the house (very small amounts too) by like 9:50pm. I always take him out after he eats since he goes right after.

The stools are normal. He's been eating the new food for a few weeks now! He is not alerting me that he needs to go to the bathroom, he doesn't even bark like he used to when he needed to go #2 bad. I was giving him more freedom and letting him stay out of his 'house' (kennel) for the past few months, but now I have to keep him in there all the time, especially when I go to work!

Could this be purposeful marking? I had been hoping to wait until he was a year before getting him neutered, but I have just scheduled the surgery for the 20th of Nov. He has just recently started lifting his leg when he urinates, so he is started to mark territory outside (and this issue seems to have appeared around the same time as the habit).

I have become utterly frustrated. I thought he was such a well-behaved dog before but now I feel like he is doing this to spite me. He knows he isn't supposed to go in the house, he hasn't done this since he was a tiny guy. What could be the reason behind this de-evolution? What am I doing wrong and how can I prevent this? I gate him in one area now, just on the wood floor because he can't be trusted with the carpeting now. I take him out for a walk after every meal so he can do his business, why is he trying to go in the house on purpose? He goes #2 on his walks...why does he do it again in the house after a few hours?

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
Dog's don't soil the house to spite us, they do not think that way.

It's either behavioral or medical, and you really should rule out medical first. There are a few different problems that can cause an urgency to potty. Once you rule them out I'd be wondering if it was the food causing his problem.

Some things to check with the food is, is the protein the same in the TotW as if was in the Blue? If it is it could be that that's causing his problem. What you could do is feed him some chicken or beef (whichever isn't the protein in the kibble) and sweet potato for a week or two and see if that takes care of the problem, you could also try putting him back on whatever you fed him before you switched to Blue and see if it helps. if it does then it's likely that the food is causing him to regress in housetraining. If it doesn't then, and he's been cleared of medical problems, then the problem is most likely behavioral and going back to housetraining 101 should help.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I think it time for a vet check.
if he turns out healthy, change the walking schedule so the periods between walks are shorter, because when he does it a few hours after the last walk ,the time period is probably too long.
I'd let him outside at least every 3-4 hours for now.

Sancho does solid business perhaps 2-3 times a day. he usually does 2 of these times on our daily walk though.
It could be that the walk is too short and that's why he can't complete his business before he gets back inside the house.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts