Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I just adopted a mixed breed (they said wire haired / chi, but I don't think so...) and she's been at my house for a week. Her name is Serena.

I have an amiable 14 y.o. min pin male (Thor), and my BF is over about 3-4 days a week with his 9 y.o. toy rat terrier (Sally). Sometimes Sally is over the whole week, so we have a pack most of the time.

In the last few days, we've developed a whining problem (with some barking). Whenever I am out of sight, Serena whines and whimpers loudly, non-stop. It's even happening when my BF is there right next to her.

This happened the other night which caused Sally to bark, and there was barking for hours. I had very little sleep. Last night, it started again. I gave in because I need my sleep, and brought Serena up to my bed to sleep with me.

Sweet silence! Everyone slept well.

My BF will be sleeping on the couch with her tonight to see if that helps. I doubt it will since if she can't see me, she goes nuts.

I'm working a lot from home over the next couple of weeks which is why I adopted her when I did. But this is not sustainable. I've started the 'leave the room briefly and return', but things seem to be getting worse, not even staying the same.

Any advice?

·
Registered
615 Posts
I would rule anything medical out first, get her checked with a vet, she may be losing her sight/hearing. Just to rule it out, especially coz you said she was whining when she was next to your BF.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My adopted Beagle is also 8 years old and has separation anxiety when I leave. He barks, yelps and whines and I haven't yet been able to solve the problem. I don't want to start taking him with me for fear that would only make the problem worse. His history is not known, but I think he may have been abandoned before he came to the shelter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts