Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have an ~8 year old Australian Cattle Dog named Eli. Eli has been with me for almost 6 years at this point, and he is usually incredibly well behaved. However, I recently had to take a job working at a bar a few nights a week, and as my girlfriend is a nurse that works nights, that means every once and a while he is alone from about 6:30 pm-3:15 am. When this is happening, we generally try to get someone to stay at the house, and if that is impossible we get a dog walker to come around 9 or 10 to take him out for a while. He has recently been peeing on the carpet every single time I leave him at night (even occasionally when I am just out for a few hours, which has never been a problem before).

I brought him to the vet, concerned that it might be a medical issue, however he seems to be perfectly healthy.

Then, a couple nights ago, we had my girlfriend's brother (who has taken care of Eli a bunch before, and Eli is actually fond of him which is rare--he only likes a few people, he tolerates the rest) come to stay with him when we both worked a night shift. My girlfriend took Eli out to pee right before she left, and then brought him back up, grabbed her stuff, and left. The moment she walked out the door Eli looked my gf's brother in the eye and proceeded to pee on the rug. Within one minute of her leaving. So I am fairly sure that this is a behavioral issue coming from a very headstrong dog who is unhappy with the shift in his schedule. However, we are moving to a brand new condo in a month, and I would really like to have this figured out by then.

He isn't getting any less time with us, or any less exercise, and his food schedule has remained uninterrupted. He hasn't been destructive in any other way, and hasn't defecated at all, just urinated. I know he is completely capable of holding it.

Any advice?

Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
re: peeing

Hi everyone,

I have an ~8 year old Australian Cattle Dog named Eli. Eli has been with me for almost 6 years at this point, and he is usually incredibly well behaved. However, I recently had to take a job working at a bar a few nights a week, and as my girlfriend is a nurse that works nights, that means every once and a while he is alone from about 6:30 pm-3:15 am. When this is happening, we generally try to get someone to stay at the house, and if that is impossible we get a dog walker to come around 9 or 10 to take him out for a while. He has recently been peeing on the carpet every single time I leave him at night (even occasionally when I am just out for a few hours, which has never been a problem before).

I brought him to the vet, concerned that it might be a medical issue, however he seems to be perfectly healthy.

Then, a couple nights ago, we had my girlfriend's brother (who has taken care of Eli a bunch before, and Eli is actually fond of him which is rare--he only likes a few people, he tolerates the rest) come to stay with him when we both worked a night shift. My girlfriend took Eli out to pee right before she left, and then brought him back up, grabbed her stuff, and left. The moment she walked out the door Eli looked my gf's brother in the eye and proceeded to pee on the rug. Within one minute of her leaving. So I am fairly sure that this is a behavioral issue coming from a very headstrong dog who is unhappy with the shift in his schedule. However, we are moving to a brand new condo in a month, and I would really like to have this figured out by then.

He isn't getting any less time with us, or any less exercise, and his food schedule has remained uninterrupted. He hasn't been destructive in any other way, and hasn't defecated at all, just urinated. I know he is completely capable of holding it.

Any advice?

Thanks so much for your help!
When my dog did that to me I had to crate train him all over again. This happened on 3 different occasions. Once when I changed my work shift, once when we got a cat and once when we got a new dog. When we go out now he is put in the bedroom with the door closed. He doesn't have any accidents anymore. He is 10 years old.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts