Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, dear dog fans. I am a new dog owner - a week ago we got a 7 week old little pomeranian. She is playful and adorable, but since we have never owned a puppy before we are being somewhat worried by a couple of things:

1. She doesn't seem to eat as much as we were told she should - we are feeding her Royal Canin starter mini (or something) and we were supposed to give her about 30 gr. a day...but I don't think she manages to eat more than 20 gr.

2. She poops only 2, maximum 3 times a day.

3. Today she seems a little bit under the weather. She seems to sleep a bit more than the previous days. Yesterday, for example, we couldn't even keep up with her - she was running all over the place, chasing, playing. Today she also plays and explores, but seems to get tired more quickly.

Otherwise she doesn't throw up, she doesn't have a loose stool. She drinks water. Doesn't seem like anything hurts. We asked a vet, but she said she seems healthy and doesn't think there's anything wrong.

What is your experience? Is it normals for a baby pup to eat so little...and to have different energy levels in different days?

Thanks so much in advance...

·
Registered
722 Posts
Faumea, as long as pup is still eating, drinking water, has no loose stool or throwing up I don't think you have a crises on your hands. You talked to a vet- good for you btw- he also doesn't think you have a crises. Maybe she just overdid it a little with play yesterday. Tomorrow being Sunday I'd just keep a close eye on her, see how she is. If by Monday she's no better, or heaven forbid worse, I's take her into the vets' for a checkup.
As for how much she's supposed to eat; who told you how much she must get? Take that as a recommendation, not a rule. If she eats 20g but is healthy and growing then I wouldn't stress it too much.
Best for her would have been at least another week at the breeders, puppies shouldn't ideally leave their litter before eight weeks of age. But I know a lot of breeders break that rule. At least she seem to have landed a good home with you so she should be ok.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
I know the breeder told you to feed that food but I would choose one with a little more quality. Acana, Go, Orijen all have great puppy foods.I would get samples and try and see which one she likes best. Much higher quality and more quality protein for puppy to grow and thrive. Other than that I think it is just the young age. Puppies sleep a lot. Sounds like she had to make up from the day before. Little puppies eat a little food. Take the amount of food the bag recommends for the day and split it into 3 or 4 small meals. Sounds like you are both doing fine welcome to the forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts