Dog Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - first post here and really after some helps and tips.

My 8 week old Cavapoo just isn't interested in his food. The breeder thinks this may be because he was in with older / bigger dogs and we have had him checked by 2 vets and they couldn't find anything physically wrong with him.

Yesterday he had about 40g of mine and some puppy food. The vet also gave us some syringes and some liquid food/nutrients supplement and he very reluctantly had about 45ml of that.

I've got him eating about 15g of mince and ground up puppy food first thing this
Morning. Really not sure what to do or how often to keep trying? (Currently going for every 2 hours and waking him up - aiming to give 90ml of the supplement everyday)

He was 626g yesterday and is about 650g today.

Any helps, too or advice would be massively appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy.:) Whats his name?
How long have you had him for? Sometime the stress of leaving their mum and siblings and being in new strange surroundings cause pups to lose their appetite.

You have done the right thing by having him vet checked. If he is putting on weight then he must be eating enough. How much did the vet advised you to feed ?
Its been a while since I had a puppy so i hope you get more answers from experienced puppy people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your reply :) We've had Murphy just a couple of days now, and to be honest I think the breeder massively underplayed how much he was off his food.

The vet advised to try little and often, but a normal puppy his age should be eating 3x 30g a day (roughly) - so far today he's managed 15g and we forced some of the electrolites supplement on him.

Does any one have experice in home made recepies or successful syringe feeding?

Really worried that he won't last very long if he carries on eating like this
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
140 Posts
Its probably the stress and also he doesn't have competition for food from the other puppies.

If he is bright eyed, alert and mobile and is pooping and weeing ok and putting on weight then try not to worry. Its easy for me to say that, I know but those things tell you he is ok . All pups are different , some small breeds can be finicky eaters.
You need to find a balance between encouraging him to eat and not pressurising him so that its puts him off from eating. I'm wouldn't wake him to feed him , he needs his sleep. Perhaps try food after a play session.
Becareful with syringe feeding that you don't feed to fast. That's all I can think of for now,
Best wishes to Murphy and hope he regains his appetite soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! All very good points. Will carry on with what we are doing and hope for the best!

Also, just to say, he just did a poo and tried to eat it, which I quickly but I replaced with mince and puppy food.... :) About 10g
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a horrible time when I first got Lucy. She was only a pound and a half and entirely uninterested in her food. In addition, I was overwhelmed with puppy depression and the horrible fear that I was going to do something wrong and she was going to die. I got over it and we found that she really liked Freeze dried raw food. It also helped that I weighed her every day and could track that she was gaining a little bit of weight each day. She is still entirely unmotivated by food (unless it's something we're eating :p) but she is a healthy weight and a happy little dog.

·
Registered
2 Posts
BTW, I also syringe fed Nutrical to Lucy 4 times a day for the first few weeks. She didn't even like the Nutrical. We cut her down to 3 x a day after the first few weeks, then two, then one and by that time she was eating fine and we were mostly doing it because I was paranoid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks that's really good to know! He had quite a good day yesterday, managed to eat 5 very small meals, and got very excited by a roast turkey.

Also eating his own poo now! Little bugger managed to eat 3 overnight! Just keep trying to jump in before he eats it and exchange it for food it happens again.

Got him drinking some of solution by himself now, so only forced one lot on him yesterday
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We also finally had some crying last night, which in a weird way was nice as we are hoping that means he now has the energy for it!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's good to hear. You must be relieved. :)

Although its not unusual for dogs to eat there own poo , I wonder, as he was kept with bigger dogs , whether he didn't have to eat and therefore he ate his poo. The fact that he eats every one he does and so quickly sounds like it could have become a habit already?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh no, do you think!? Not sure how to break that and keep him eating!

Seems a bit more lively today, had his first attempt at bounding!
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts