Dog Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s time for some fun in the sun! With the hot vacation season coming up, it’s important to pack up some essentials you’ll need for your pet to stay cool and healthy for uninterrupted summer fun. Don’t leave your pets out of the best season of the year!

1. Cooling Beds :)
Summer means hot days and nights. A good cooling bed like the Canine Cooler will give your dog a cool spot to chill out and get relief from the sweltering heat! You can use it indoors, outdoors and even in the travel crate (away from direct sunlight, of course) to keep it cool anywhere you go. The Canine Cooler is extremely easy to use and doesn’t even require refrigeration! You simply add water and voila, a fluid-enhanced cooling bed that works at room temperature!
Alternatively, check out Coolaroo Pet Bed! This bed is made of a breathable fabric that is flea and mite resistant. We all know how pests love to roam during the warm summer months, so this is a perfect resting place for your pet to stay cool.

2. Popsicles :thumbsup:
While you’re enjoying that ice cream cone on a hot summer day, your dog can munch on a Cool Pup Popsicle! These chew toys are perfect for cooling your pet during the harsh heat of summer. They’ll love licking up the cool water that seeps out from the holes as the toy defrosts, just like a real popsicle! Aside from the cooling effects, the view of your pup chomping down on a popsicle is adorably priceless!

·
Registered
233 Posts
The only one of these most pets actually need is the flea and tick prevention...

Also BE CAREFUL! The article recommends a product containing Rosemary. That may be fine for dogs, but it is very dangerous for cats so don’t apply it near your other furry friends.

I was hoping for a really helpful
Informational article but it was basically just an advertisement:(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I built my own little air cooler using a styrofoam cooler and a fan.
I then got another fan to propel the cold air coming out of it a bit further and wider than the two tubes (made of water bottles) that I put into the side of the cooler were doing.

I put ice packs (which I have plenty of, due to my bad back), and frozen bottles of water into it, put the top on, put the fan on top...and ahhhh...cold air comes out of it.

I really enjoyed the heck out of it for like 2 hours...then felt guilty when I looked down my short hall and saw Jaya laying on her loveseat...panting like she was going to melt.

So now, Jaya has her own personal 'air conditioner' :p And she Loves it :thumbsup:

The frozen liquid in the cooler, lasts about 4 hours, it's not going to cool off like a whole room...even a smaller room, unless it's like a small bathroom sized area. I keep enough bottles in the freezer to rotate though them and keep the cooler filled with them

Some guy on YouTube complained that heat thrown by the fridge/freezer, in cooling the bottles cancels out any cooling. But what he doesn't realize, is that when the house is Miserably HOT already, any extra heat generated by the fridge doesn't make that much of a difference. But having a nice pocket of cold air around you is wonderful...and could in some cases, maybe even be a life saver.

All I know is I don't hear Jaya puffing like a steam engine at night now, and our temps here for the past few weeks have been in the high to mid 90s - with it continuing at least for another 10 days according to the forecast. I wish I would have found out about building something like that little cooler ages ago.

I'm still hot and miserable...lol...and AU and the cat hang don't seem to mind when the temps in the house hit the low 80s. AU doesn't pant and act hot like Jaya does, and I've seen the cat bake herself to medium well in front of the heater in the winter. I do have an air conditioner in the living room, but it just doesn't have enough BTUs to cool down even that area when it's this hot -it helps, but not when the outside temps climb into the mid 80s+

The unit I built: I already had a box fan, but the 2nd fan was $15 and the cooler was $3.00.

Stormy

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Talk about hot, we hit 115 last Friday. Its was very very hot. We have a huge central AC, which did hold the house at 75, but it certainly had fewer and shorter off cycles. Samantha and I love air conditioning, when it gets really hot, we feel no need to go out in it. Samantha will go just outside the house to do what she needs to, then scampers back inside to the air conditioning. We understand each other.

·
Registered
233 Posts
That’s how Ranger and I feel! If I’m not outside, neither is he! Also if it’s too hot for my bare feet, it’s too hot for his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
The only thing mine need is the flea and tick prevention. Plus heartworm prevention and fly repellent. Only one of my dogs has a cooling mat, she has a self warming mat for colder months so I switched it.

That is really cool StormyPeak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts