Dog Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I need advice about my 6-7 month-old male rescued Lab mix. I have had him for about two months now, and have been housetraining him since of course. I give him plenty of love and treats whenever he pees and poos outside, and do not scold him whenever he does it in the house. He seems to have done pretty well with this, as he has started to wait at the door when he needs to go potty.

I've had the following issues while potty training him:

1) since I have adopted him, he has piddled whenever he gets excited, with just a spray of pee.

2) Recently also, he has peed in other family members' beds ---- though not mine, which is odd since he stays in my bedroom and is allowed on my bed. When he pees in the bed, it usually seems pretty intentional and is more than just a spray.

3) He also will just dribble around the house at odd times. Though he can hold his urine through the night, he will seemingly lose control of his bladder at very odd times. He could have just gone out to the bathroom five minutes ago, and then dribble urine across the room. It happens all the time, but frequently when playing things such as fetch. Oftentimes, he'll wait at the door but before I can get to him he'll release the dribble. When this is happening, he doesn't squat like he does when he potties outside, and its usually just little lines of dots.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Marking, submissive urination all seem like possibilities, but no theory seems to really match completely. He has a doctor's appointment tomorrow to make sure its not a medical reason, but I tend to think its probably behavioral. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, as a follow-up, he seems like a confident dog. Loves greeting people and initiating contact. Was great at learning commands, he's fairly good at all the basic commands and is quickly getting better. I use only positive reinforcement, though getting other family members on board 100% of the time has been difficult. Despite this, however, a stare down and firm "no" or "hey" is the most negative response he has had to a urination inside the house.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
It sounds like it could be something medical, rather than training or behavioral. I would get him into the vet for a urine panel and then go from there. He may need an ultrasound of his bladder and urethra.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts