Dog Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a 7 month german shepherd this week. We want her to be a family dog but she won't let anybody except me pet her or take her outside to potty. I am home all day with her until my kids gets home from school. How can I help her learn that it's okay to trust my kids and husband and that she doesn't have to be my shadow? I know it's only day 3 of her being her but I want to have a plan to make this easy for everyone. Thanks!

·
Registered
199 Posts
They need to put in time and effort into creating a bond with her. She might be a one-man dog who always will favorite one person, but you can make it better by developing their relationship. Make them feed her, spend time with her, train her, walk her, preferably without you. She needs to have a reason to trust them and to want to be with them.

I don’t know how your kids are but often dogs will dislike kids because of their ruthlessness and unpredictable way of being. So to make sure that the kids respect the dogs space and emotions is a ground rule.

·
Super Moderator
436 Posts
Give it time. It's only been a week, she will still be finding her feet. She is just taking things at her pace so allow her to do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
For two weeks, ask the members of your family to:
  • Hand feed all of her meals. This is a good opportunity for some basic training as well as bonding.
  • Provide all the good things like treats, new toys, walks
Like the other responders to this post said, it's only been a short time so don't worry too much but it is important that she not get too attached to you. Your job for the next two weeks is to ignore her a bit so she starts to look elsewhere for attention. If you can afford it, taking her to doggy daycare a couple times per week will get her out of the house while you are home and socializing with other people and dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We just got a 7 month german shepherd this week. We want her to be a family dog but she won't let anybody except me pet her or take her outside to potty. I am home all day with her until my kids gets home from school. How can I help her learn that it's okay to trust my kids and husband and that she doesn't have to be my shadow? I know it's only day 3 of her being her but I want to have a plan to make this easy for everyone. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Adopted dogs take 3 days to decompress, 3 weeks to know your routine and 3 months to start to feel at home. Give them a chance. She will be part of the family in no time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts