Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,727 Posts
Take that pup to the vet for a check up and to get it on a proper vaccination schedule. If you cannot afford to do that then you should not have a puppy.

If I'm remembering right 5 weeks old is to young to be vaccinating a puppy, they still have the antibodies that they got from their mom. 5 weeks old is also way to young to be away from their mom and siblings. Since whomever owned the puppies gave them away so young I'm wondering just how healthy of an environment they were raised in which is another reason to take the pup to the vet.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I wouldn't give a 7-in-1 shot to a 5 week old pup. I completely agree with Rain, that this puppy should be checked out by a vet. But, for information's sake, vaccines shouldn't be given until 6-8 weeks of age, at which point they should only get DHPP.

If your dog is not longer being nursed by his/her mother, than s/he doesn't have the protection from the mother's antibodies, and perhaps vaccines could be administered, however, I don't think this would be a good idea without a vet's guidance, and I definitely think the 7-in-1 would be way too much. It includes leptospirosis, which shouldn't be administered until a dog is at least 12 weeks old (and some dogs, depending on lifestyle/where you live, never need this vaccine).

·
Registered
620 Posts
You're welcome!

Also, I really hope you don't take anything written here as criticism. Although I don't have the confidence to do it myself, I know many people who administer their own vaccines - I just think it is worth it to have a vet's guidance in the beginning, especially with a puppy so young.

Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
You're welcome!

Also, I really hope you don't take anything written here as criticism. Although I don't have the confidence to do it myself, I know many people who administer their own vaccines - I just think it is worth it to have a vet's guidance in the beginning, especially with a puppy so young.

Good luck!!!!!
We do it all the time with out outside cats.

Our vet showed us how to do it because it is EXTREMELY cheaper to buy them, and do them yourself. Our cats got red mange, and the vaccines costed us around $20 for 6-7 cats. Which would have been over $300 if we took them in. But I know the scared feeling, I was so nervous the first time I did it, because if you go too deep you can give them an abscess.

I've never given one to our dogs, because they usually get them every check up!

·
Super Moderator
10,727 Posts
We do it all the time with out outside cats.

Our vet showed us how to do it because it is EXTREMELY cheaper to buy them, and do them yourself. Our cats got red mange, and the vaccines costed us around $20 for 6-7 cats. Which would have been over $300 if we took them in. But I know the scared feeling, I was so nervous the first time I did it, because if you go too deep you can give them an abscess.

I've never given one to our dogs, because they usually get them every check up!

If it weren't a puppy, and one so very young at that, I wouldn't have such a problem with it. I know people out here in the country routinely vaccinate their own animals.

I think puppies should be checked by a vet. The pup needs to be given a wellness exam, and be checked for worms, it could have tape worms which takes a different wormer to kill, and Zoey needs to be advised on when to start the pup on heartworm preventative.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts