Dog Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a puppy that is almost 6 months old. I've had him since 9 weeks and I thought we were well passed the housebreaking hurdles. He was consisting going outside and will even hit the backdoor with his paw to let you know he needs to be let out.

Well, he has been afraid to go down the stairs into the finished basement until he chased my cat down the stairs 2 days ago which seems to have gotten him passed his stair phobia. Now that he is comfortable going up and down the stairs, he's disappeared down there a couple times. I found poop on the carpet two nights ago and tonight I caught him in the act. I immediately took him outside but he didn't eliminate outside (I guess he was already done?)

The cat has spiteful peed on the basement carpet a couple of times and I've cleaned it with the odor/enzyme cleaner stuff. I'm sure the dog accidents in the basement are a combo of his smelling the cat and the different surface of the carpet(the rest of the house is hardwood.)

What do I do to stop him from trying to poop down there? I already have one pet gate up to keep him out of the second floor and would rather not have to put another pet gate up to block off the basement. Is blocking it the only option? How do I help him discern that nowhere in the house is OK to go potty regardless of whether it's on wood, tile or carpet? Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
To me it makes sense to block off the basement temporarily until you get him back on track again.
I don't know where you live but here it is the height of summer and I have to go outdoors to the back yard with my dogs to encourage them to stay out long enough to do their business, because it is so hot outside.
I suggest you go outside with your dog and praise him when he performs, and block off the basement for now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I wouldn't completely block off access to the basement, I would just make sure that any time he spends down there is supervised. (I would do the same with the upstairs, if you're also blocking it off for potty reasons) Dogs do not generalize very well, so when in the basement I would go back to potty training 101. Watch like a hawk and praise heavily for pottying outside. Just blocking off the area and treating him when he goes outside isn't going to do much. You need to spend some time downstairs with him to get him to realize that this is not a place to potty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trying to supervise whenever he goes into basement

Thanks both.

I'd rather not block off access completely. I want him to be able to move freely throughout most of the house (exception being the 2nd floor which I've gated off as the "cat haven." I wanted the cat to have a space to escape too where the puppy couldn't chase him.) I also have a crate in the basement laundry room that I used when my puppy was smaller. Since he has gotten too heavy to carry downstairs and wouldn't go down the steps on his own, I put another crate on the main floor, but I'd prefer to use the one in the basement now. So I want to allow him access to the space and the crate if he wants, but right now, I cant trust him not to pee or poop on the other carpeted areas of the basement.

I'm trying to follow him down there and make sure he isn't doing anything other than checking it out, but its not always easy to tell whether he's just gone to his water bowl in the kitchen or if he has snuck down the basement stairs. I'm wondering if maybe I should temporarily block his access to the carpeted area but leave the stairs, laundry room with crate etc as free reign? Then let him investigate the carpeted areas only when I am there to watch? I don't know. I just don't want him to get in a habit of peeing or pooping on that carpet or for this to become a longer term problem.

Also planning to break out the blacklight tonight to see if there are any other cat spots I might have missed with the enzyme cleaner.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Thanks both.

I'd rather not block off access completely. I want him to be able to move freely throughout most of the house (exception being the 2nd floor which I've gated off as the "cat haven." I wanted the cat to have a space to escape too where the puppy couldn't chase him.) I also have a crate in the basement laundry room that I used when my puppy was smaller. Since he has gotten too heavy to carry downstairs and wouldn't go down the steps on his own, I put another crate on the main floor, but I'd prefer to use the one in the basement now. So I want to allow him access to the space and the crate if he wants, but right now, I cant trust him not to pee or poop on the other carpeted areas of the basement.

I'm trying to follow him down there and make sure he isn't doing anything other than checking it out, but its not always easy to tell whether he's just gone to his water bowl in the kitchen or if he has snuck down the basement stairs. I'm wondering if maybe I should temporarily block his access to the carpeted area but leave the stairs, laundry room with crate etc as free reign? Then let him investigate the carpeted areas only when I am there to watch? I don't know. I just don't want him to get in a habit of peeing or pooping on that carpet or for this to become a longer term problem.

Also planning to break out the blacklight tonight to see if there are any other cat spots I might have missed with the enzyme cleaner.
I would try to block off the carpeted area and see how he does with that. Black light is a good idea!

If you're having trouble seeing him go downstairs, depending on how your house is laid out, try a motion sensing light or something of the sort so you can "see" when he's on his way down.

You could also try keeping a running tab on when he eats and drinks and when he signals he needs to potty for a few days and see if there is are windows of time when he generally needs to go out. This way you can preempt his going potty downstairs, by keeping a closer eye on him around those times.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Than he just doesn't understand that the carpet is not grass. Block him off for now from the carpeted area. Spend time with him when he is on the carpeting to prevent accidents. If fact after you have had him out to potty than take him into the carpeted area with you. Alot of puppies who are pee pad trained will go to carpeting or throw rugs as they cannot understand the difference. It can be very frustrating sometimes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts