Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my first forum post (slightly out of desperation) so I hope you will go easy on me and hopefully be able to offer some help with my dilemma.

We have had our puppy (Westie Bischon Cross) since October and we never had issues with her sleeping initially but since Christmas we have had an absolute nightmare with her barking/moaning during the night which is preventing us from sleeping.

Initially we had her in a pen with her dog bed and most nights she slept fine. Then as we were home a lot of the Christmas period her regular routine was broken and since we returned to work after the Christmas break she has refused to sleep in her bed and pen without barking for us to come down to her. We have tried the following options so far (none of which have worked):

1. Crate Training - This worked for a little while but required my other half to sleep on the sofa for a little while but at least she was quiet. After about two weeks she returned to constant barking during the night.
  2. Moving her bed to the bedroom and slowly moving it out - She initially enjoyed being in the room with us but then decided she would rather not be in the room and would wander round all night and whimper to get out of the room. She also weed on the carpet in there once so this quickly stopped.
  3. Letting her have free roam of downstairs so she could sleep on the sofa - we do not have an issue with her sleeping on the sofa and she doesnt bark BUT she sleeps for about 3 hours, then decides to wee/poo on the floor without warning and then moans until we come downstairs. We have tried this for the past 2 weeks and its getting prgressively worse.
To give you a little background on our situation both I and my other half work long hours (leave at 7am and return at 7pm) during the day so we have someone to look after the puppy for a few hours each day during the week so she is never left alone for too long at any given time. During the day she never barks whatsoever (we have asked our neighbours and they hear nothing - I suspect she sleeps a lot when we are not there which is part of the problem).

When we come home from work she is ridiculously excited to see us and we spend a lot of time walking her, feeding her and playing/training with her so that by the end of the night she is physically mentally tired.

I understand that us working a lot and her wanting our attention when we are home is probably the main issue here so I wont bother asking silly questions about why she is doing this. What I really want to know is whether anyone has a tried and tested method of getting their dog to sleep during the night without barking. We are happy to put up with some noise for a couple of weeks but want to know something that works and something that we can stick to for the long term.

I don't expect that we are the only people with a puppy who both work and I really hope that we are not the only people to have experienced these issues.

Many thanks for your responses in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Hi there!

When she barks/whines/moans do you get up and take her outside?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya

Yes we do pretty much every time. Sometimes she does need to go to the toilet and we will let her out and then put her back to bed sometimes she doesn't need to go at all and just wants the attention. She always goes instantly quiet when we are there and she is no longer tired but then as soon as we go back to bed she will start whining again within 10/15 mins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts