Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 6 month old puppy is not kenneled during the day while we're at work. When we got her at 3 months old she absolutely hated it and broke several nails trying to escape from it with a horrible howling fit for a full 6 hours without stopping when we tried to get her used to it. We have a camera on her so we verified how long and how badly she was fighting the kennel. So, we decided to baby gate her into just the kitchen area - she figured out on the first day how to get over the gate, but did not destroy anything. So, we gave in and decided we can let her roam loose in the living room and kitchen. For 3 months we've had no issues - she's perfectly behaved - only chews on her toys, etc.

Fast forward to now and she has destroyed a recliner (thankfully an old one). She also destroyed her bed. Today on the camera footage, she began pulling on the couch cushion.
This is all new behavior, but the other thing that is very specific about it, is that she does this at the same time every day - within an hour of us getting home. She's SO CLOSE to making it all the way until we come through the door. It's just that last little bit of the afternoon that she comes unglued.

We go home on our lunch hour and walk her so she has a break in the day for us to be home for a bit and exercise her and work on her basic obedience exercises to make her think.
We leave kongs when we leave after lunch but she goes through them right away after we leave, even if freezing them. She then takes a nap but when she wakes up about an hour before we get home her new thing is destroying something.

Does anyone have any advice on this?
Are there any toys that have a time release that we can set where at like 4:00pm, we can launch a ball to divert her during her "destructive hour". I've tried to google this and I'm coming up empty or not finding the right key words to pull up a project.

She's SO GOOD for 90% of the day and this is a new problem. I really don't want to put her in a kennel - we've never kenneled our previous dogs. But I don't know what else to do.
Please and thank you everyone!!

·
Super Moderator
1,631 Posts
Can you get a dog walker go in for just before that time of the day, or can you stagger your working hours so one of you starts earlier and gets home earlier?

I think it might be to do with teething so if you can break the habit now, it may stop it from becoming an embedded habit that continues after her teeth have come through, so I'd say it was important to nip it now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'd spray everything with the bitter apple spray. then maybe leaving out longer last bones would help? the Himalayan yak cheese chews seem to last awhile.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts