Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6 month Samoyed male purchased from a reputable breeder.
X rays came back showing that The right hip joint is "subluxated". *look at the space between the ball in the one hip* (left on your screen)
The vet said its in the first stage then said or it could stay how it is. He did say it's not dysplasia.. Not yet, maybe, maybe not. No real answers! There's always miracles, they happen. Maybe it will grow normally being that he is only 6 months. I found articles finding that many x rays are faulty due to poor positioning. Or maybe I'm just in the denial stage. Seek a second opinion? Anyone give me some hope here

Attachments

·
Registered
713 Posts
He's still a growing puppy, so things may change. That is why OFA will not give a definitive evaluation until a dog is 2 years old, and even then positioning and the evaluators mood ate major factors in the final score. At the moment the left hip does look better than the right and it looks like the techs did a nice job positioning, but unless something is waaay off theres very few vets who would be comfortable (or ballsy) enough to give a definitive diagnosis. Why did you have your pup xrayed in the first place? Is he limping or showing any orthopedic issues?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response. I felt a thump when I put my hand on his back when we were playing tug o war. While he was going under for umbilical hernia surgery I asked for them to take x rays. So this is something that could grow to show it being normal?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Too young to get a definite diagnosis. Wait a little bit before convincing yourself. Puppies can grow and change and you never know what it could turn into.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
As already said, he is young, and still growing, so its very possible it will not turn into a major issue. Regardless, keeping him well exercised and paying attention to his muscle tone will help keep things lined up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts