Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a rescue mutt, probably pit mix, about 2.5 weeks ago. He's been a great dog so far, very sweet, but I can't seem to completely potty train him. If I take him out often enough, he will go potty on command easily, no issues. But he does not want to go outside either by himself or after dark, which means he will not ask to go outside because he'd rather go in the living room or hallway. I think it might be related to some moderate separation anxiety/fear of abandonment, which he exhibits if I leave him at home or in the car even for less than an hour.

I'm considering trying to train the bell-ringing trick to encourage him to ask to be let out, but I don't know if it will stick because he doesn't WANT to go outside.

Any tips/advice or similar experiences?

TIA

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update! Yesterday I successfully trained him to ring an old sleigh bell that I hung from the slider door that goes to our back yard, and he's rang it 3 times to go out to poop today! I'm hoping he'll also start using it to go pee, but I'm still taking him out regularly to make sure he doesn't go in the house. We shall see. But I'm hopeful!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts