Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! Brand new to this forum. I have had many many dogs before, and I currently have a 12 year old Bichon Frise and a 6 month old Australian shepherd/ terrier mix. The Aussie is quite small and weighs about 10 pounds. I have had her for 2 months now. She refuses to be potty trained and pees constantly and everywhere. I have taken her to the vet and she has no urinary tract issues. No matter the amount of times I take her out she still goes inside and then runs through her urine and spreads it all over the house. She has major crate trauma and cannot be crate trained. She also has severe separation anxiety and even if I leave her even for 2 minutes to go to the bathroom she will follow me in or howl and cry actual wet tears if I lock her out. Her anxiety behavior is really taking a toll. She jumps constantly like a spring and cannot sit still and then wears herself out to the point of exhaustion, and I believe the urinating is also a symptom of the anxiety. She will jump and pee at the same time...I was considering trying lavender essential oils and giving her diluted chamomile tea, as well as playing soothing music for her while I am at work (which is only 4 hours at a time) to at least calm her a little. The stress she experiences anytime she is away from me is making her crazy. I have never had such problems with any of the 10+ dogs I have owned, and am sort of at a loss. I have had several people that know her say they would have put her on Prozac by now, but I don't want to do that to such a young dog. Does anyone have thoughts on teas and essential oils for puppies?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,

Not sure I can be much help, but my little dog (now 9 months) was a little bit like this when we first got him at 9 weeks. he would cry the house down every time we left, so in the end we started treating him before hand. We'd make him go in his bed and then say good boy give him a treat and leave, this helps her realise its not a bad thing and that we will be coming home. Also try leaving the house for 5 minutes then going back in to show her you will always come back, and repeat this a few times a day. also maybe leave an old piece of clothing that smells like you in her bed for comfort.

In regards to the toilet training we took him in the garden from day 1 ( not on grass due to jabs) and would use key words such as pee and poo and would wait out there until he does his toilet and when he does have a massive party tell him ho goods he is and even a treat. Don't tell her off when she pees in doors just pick her up and take outside. they will soon notice that they are only be praised for doing it outside and they will really want the treat.

You may have already tried all this, but this is how we coped and we had a fully toilet trained dog at 4 months old.
:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts