Dog Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dexter is a (supposed) 11 week old Kelpie/Heeler (Australian cattle dog) mix, and he weighs 6.4 lbs/2.9kg.
From what I can tell, most other kelpies AND heelers are much larger than he is at 11 weeks. According to the weight chart that i found online for both breeds he's pretty far below average.
We went to the vet today and they said he's very healthy. Of course I bombarded him with questions but forgot to ask about his size.

He could have lied about the breed, but I'm far more worried that he lied about the pups age in order to get rid of them faster. I know how important it is for a puppy to stick with the litter for at least 8 weeks.
I've attached a picture of Dexter.
Does anyone have experience with kelpies or heelers/remember their puppies weight/have a picture of their pup at 11 weeks?

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Lots of puppies are slow growers or grow in spurts. My puppy's parents were 60 and 65 lbs. At 12 weeks she was 7 lbs, while other standard poodles her age were 15 or 20+ lbs. now she has caught up to most of her litter. It happens. Your dog may have been the smallest of the litter like mine was.

Feed them quality food and they will grow to the size they are supposed to be.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Stella is a Cattle dog/Heeler mix and when she was 12 weeks old she was 15 pounds. She's mixed with something else that's taller and slimmer like a Pointer, hound dog or Catahoula. He does sound kind of small but I don't really know how big Kelpies are. It's possible you were lied to, but it's possible your puppy was a runt. It's kind of hard to tell in that picture and at this age.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stella is a Cattle dog/Heeler mix and when she was 12 weeks old she was 15 pounds. She's mixed with something else that's taller and slimmer like a Pointer, hound dog or Catahoula. He does sound kind of small but I don't really know how big Kelpies are. It's possible you were lied to, but it's possible your puppy was a runt. It's kind of hard to tell in that picture and at this age.
yeah its difficult to get a picture of him. Hes always either out cold or moving faster than the camera. And he's so dark he barely shows up- that picture is in a lit room with a flashlight on him. I was hoping the Snapple comparison bottle would help a bit.

·
Super Moderator
3,746 Posts
Did you get a chance to see either parent? I'm guessing that you found Dexter from someone off of Craigslist. I'm not sure that you will ever know. You could always do a DNA test, though there are not always accurate.

In any respect, you have a very cute little guy and I hope that you will enjoy raising him. :)

·
Super Moderator
10,820 Posts
At his next vet visit ask how old the vet thinks he is. He should be able to give you a guess.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you get a chance to see either parent? I'm guessing that you found Dexter from someone off of Craigslist. I'm not sure that you will ever know. You could always do a DNA test, though there are not always accurate.

In any respect, you have a very cute little guy and I hope that you will enjoy raising him. :)
Yep, he's a craigslist puppy. I tried multiple times to get a dog from the spca but I live in a rural, very eco-friendly area so there were only about 8 dogs available at a time, and I kept getting denied because someone else was a better match ("sorry but she loves playing with the other dogs here, and this guy has two dogs" "i'm glad your not giving up, but there are five people ahead of you waiting to adopt her" etc) I was bitter about it, but honestly a high criteria only means the dogs will be happier.

I attached the picture from craigslist that I saved, You can see mama to the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, he's a craigslist puppy. I tried multiple times to get a dog from the spca but I live in a rural, very eco-friendly area so there were only about 8 dogs available at a time, and I kept getting denied because someone else was a better match ("sorry but she loves playing with the other dogs here, and this guy has two dogs" "i'm glad your not giving up, but there are five people ahead of you waiting to adopt her" etc) I was bitter about it, but honestly a high criteria only means the dogs will be happier.

I attached the picture from craigslist that I saved, You can see mama to the right.
I found out how to zoom it in, kind of

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
What's the big concern? The dog won't be able to do big dog things? He's a mixed breed so he's a gamble in size at the end. What did you pay for this craigslist find? He might be completely different than your expectations, but he is still going to be fun, and as good as you train him.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's the big concern? The dog won't be able to do big dog things? He's a mixed breed so he's a gamble in size at the end. What did you pay for this craigslist find? He might be completely different than your expectations, but he is still going to be fun, and as good as you train him.
its less about the breed and more about the age. Its very important to stay with the litter for AT LEAST 8 weeks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts