Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to start giving my dog his kibble in the AM and raw in the PM. I might switch to all raw but for now wanted to do 50/50. I understand that even though it's 50/50 you are to still follow the 80/10/10 ratio of meat/bone/organ.

I've decided to start with grounds and really liked mypetcarnivore that already had the whole grounds with the correct ratios however they don't deliver to my area and shipping is too expensive.

I did find a supplier with fair prices and they do have grounds but not with the 80/10/10 ratios.

So my question is since he is going to be on 50/50 for now how strict do I need to stick to the 80/10/10 ratios? They have a blend of ground beef w/20% tripe that also contains 5% beef heart and 5% liver. I know liver should take up 5% and that heart is considered a muscle meat not an organ although this supplier considers them organs it seems. So would he be fine on just the liver or do I need to include another organ like kidney, spleen, pancreas, etc? Also I plan to rotate this blend with a bone in ground. They have a turkey neck ground that contains 23% bone. If I halved the beef mix with the turkey ground he would be getting 11.5% bone, 83.5% meat and 2.5% organ (which would be the liver since I'm including the heart as the meat).

Am I doing this correct? Do you think i need to add more organs or is this a good start to do the 50 raw? Is the beef/tripe mix and turkey good proteins to start with? They also have lamb, goat, rabbit, chicken, pork (although he might have a chicken allergy so wanted to stay away from chicken at first) Just want to make sure I am keeping it balanced and as close to the ratios as I should. Is the 11.5% bone ok or since he is on 50/50 does he require less bone?

Thanks for any help with this, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention I was planning on buying kidneys/liver separate and dehydrate to use for training/classes. So maybe he will get the additional organs that way, does it matter if I give this dehydrated rather than raw? Are there certain protein organs that are better than others?

Also was just reading to start with one protein, so now not sure if the turkey/beef mix will be ok or should I just start with one protein for a few weeks like the turkey and than add the beef, etc.?

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
i havent mixed for a long time and even then it was pre made with fruit veggies bone etc. @naturalfeddogs and @TiggerBounce know more as im a newbie to balancing it out myself and still need reminding abot bone in and organs lol

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Don't get super hung up on the whole ratio thing. It's strictly a guideline, and nothing more. Some dogs will need more, or less of something than another. Your main focus should be on slowly adding variety. Variety in raw is is how you get all the needed nutrients, not ratios. Feed a variety of meat/bones/organs. Mostly meat, some bone and through some organ in there, either weekly as a meal or smaller amounts during the week, depending on how your dog tolerates organ. Some need more, some need less. Some need it with bone, some don't. Watch your dog, let them tell you. If you sweat the ratios, it can get frustrating. Remember, guideline only.

And, watch the feeding raw and kibble on the same day. Sometimes that can cause digestive issues, sometimes not. Again, watch your dogs stool and let them tell you if it is working or not.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't get super hung up on the whole ratio thing. It's strictly a guideline, and nothing more. Some dogs will need more, or less of something than another. Your main focus should be on slowly adding variety. Variety in raw is is how you get all the needed nutrients, not ratios. Feed a variety of meat/bones/organs. Mostly meat, some bone and through some organ in there, either weekly as a meal or smaller amounts during the week, depending on how your dog tolerates organ. Some need more, some need less. Some need it with bone, some don't. Watch your dog, let them tell you. If you sweat the ratios, it can get frustrating. Remember, guideline only.

And, watch the feeding raw and kibble on the same day. Sometimes that can cause digestive issues, sometimes not. Again, watch your dogs stool and let them tell you if it is working or not.
Thanks so much! I guess every dog is different so I will watch his stool and go from there. I will gradually introduce the organs like you said. Can I factor the dehydrated organs he gets into his diet even though they won't be given to him raw? For the bone, should I gradually introduce the bone as well or should I just start out around the 10% and see how he does?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
I basically agree with naturalfeddogs. I don't measure out anything. I just follow the general guideline of the ratio. Being that you should be feeding mostly meat, with some bone, and some liver/other organ.

When starting, it's often best to start with skinless, bone in chicken or turkey. These meats are both very easy to digest and a little extra bone can help keep stool in check. Chicken drumsticks, thighs, or even the whole quarter for a big dog are usually perfect. They are around 20-30% bone. If the stool gets chalky and crumbly, cut back on bone and add more meat. I'd probably stick to just bone-in chicken for a while before adding more stuff. If you start raw and you are still seeing solid poops for a good 4-5 days, you are probably safe to start adding small amounts of other stuff in.

As for dehydrated organ, most don't include it as a part of the diet or a part of the 10% because it is cooked. Cooking meat and exposing to heat can denature enzymes and change the nutrient availability. If it's freeze dried, then yes, you can count it as organ towards the meal because it's still technically raw. It's best though, IMO, to get raw organs, and then just keep feeding the dehydrated/freeze dried stuff as treats so you don't have to worry about keeping track.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I basically agree with naturalfeddogs. I don't measure out anything. I just follow the general guideline of the ratio. Being that you should be feeding mostly meat, with some bone, and some liver/other organ.

When starting, it's often best to start with skinless, bone in chicken or turkey. These meats are both very easy to digest and a little extra bone can help keep stool in check. Chicken drumsticks, thighs, or even the whole quarter for a big dog are usually perfect. They are around 20-30% bone. If the stool gets chalky and crumbly, cut back on bone and add more meat. I'd probably stick to just bone-in chicken for a while before adding more stuff. If you start raw and you are still seeing solid poops for a good 4-5 days, you are probably safe to start adding small amounts of other stuff in.

As for dehydrated organ, most don't include it as a part of the diet or a part of the 10% because it is cooked. Cooking meat and exposing to heat can denature enzymes and change the nutrient availability. If it's freeze dried, then yes, you can count it as organ towards the meal because it's still technically raw. It's best though, IMO, to get raw organs, and then just keep feeding the dehydrated/freeze dried stuff as treats so you don't have to worry about keeping track.
Thanks, I was actually just going to do the grounds that already included the bone. I was going to kibble in AM and then in PM feed half of a turkey neck ground which has 23% bone, and half of a 80%beef/20%tripe/10%heart/liver that would start him out with about 11.5% bone and 2.5% organ - liver. I was going to trial this for a few weeks and then start adding other proteins and adjusting the organs/bones accordingly. Do you think this is a good menu plan to start with?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm hearing not to introduce organs for at least a month after raw feeding and to introduce only one protein for a few weeks as well.

If this is the case, I plan to get the turkey neck ground (23% bone) and ground turkey (no bone) and give half of each in the evening which would give him about 11.5% bone. I was planning to do this for about a month and then introduce beef and organs the next month. Just making sure this is a good plan to start with as I get a little confused on different readings? Also when I first introduce raw should I start with more than 10% bone and then increase/decrease based on stool or the opposite - less than 10% bone and then increase/decrease based on stool?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
One protein, once a week to week and half assuming all is going well.

Organs ate normally the last thing to he introduced because of the richness, but if your dog is handling everything well, you can give very small amounts at a time and see how it goes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One protein, once a week to week and half assuming all is going well.

Organs ate normally the last thing to he introduced because of the richness, but if your dog is handling everything well, you can give very small amounts at a time and see how it goes.
Great thanks! How about the bone, should I start at about the 10% and adjust from there?

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Agreed that introducing new proteins is sort of a case by case basis. You just have to know your dog and monitor poop. Poultry meats tend to be easiest to digest. Red meats can be pretty rich and are often more likely to result in system upset and soft stool. Skins and cuts of meat with higher fat content can also cause soft stool in a dog that hasn't built up a tolerance to fat yet.

As for bone, it's not really a bad idea to start with a little higher bone content, just under the assumption that the new food will likely result in soft stool. Some dogs actually need more than 10% bone in general to prevent soft stool. It's perfectly ok to feed as much as 20% bone on a regular basis. Just monitor poops. Too much bone will result in hard, chalky poops that crumble. And the dog may become a bit constipated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts