Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 5 year old Lab/Boxer mix has recently taken it upon himself to start peeing in the house. Carpet, linoleum, tile, on the couch/chair/bed, on people's legs (he squats) it doesn't matter; he'll go anywhere. Up until about 2 months ago he has been very good about informing me when it is time to answer nature's call and he will stand by the back door to let me know he's "got to go." I recently had a roommate move in with me, and whenever the both of us are home (and especially the case when we have friends over) and he isn't getting any direct attention, he will stand somewhere within view, look right at us, and pee.

He is crate trained, has always been able to hold it for 8 hours (and rarely longer) while I'm at work with zero problems. He knows how to let me know when he needs outside. And he knows what he is doing is wrong, but he doesn't show any signs of the usual submission (ducking head, tail between legs, etc.) when I yell at him. He just trots off like it's nothing. I know dog's supposedly don't feel jealousy, but I really feel like when he isn't getting the majority of my attention or I'm giving my guests/roommate attention and not him that is when he acts up, like he's jealous he's not the center of attention and he's going to get it regardless of whether or not it gets him yelled at.

Things I've tried:
* taking him outside more (he once peed inside literally 10 minutes after I took him out);
* rewarding going outside with lots of praise and a treat;
* taking him to the vet to see if he had a bladder infection (he didn't);
* reducing his liquid intake vs. leaving a bowl of water out (didn't help)
* giving him something to occupy himself (a bone or peanut butter filled toy), all he did was chew on it for about 15 minutes then pee in a corner;
* scolding him while/after he pees;
* rubbing his nose in it;
* dunking his head in a mixing bowl of water next to the spot he peed (I know this sounds harsh but I didn't hold him underwater, just shoved his head into it so he was soaked; one of my friends had a similar problem and this fixed her dog pretty much instantaneously);
* shampooing the entire house twice with a commercial steam vac and commercial enzyme shampoo.

I seriously am out of ideas, any help would be VERY much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
You have tried some great things and I would keep at it, I know this can be frustrating but sometimes a little patience is key. I've also noted the things you've tried that I wouldn't suggest ever...

* scolding him while/after he pees;

DON'T do this, all you will accomplish is making him more fearful of peeing in front of you and he'll find places to pee in hiding.

* rubbing his nose in it;

DON'T do this because he will not connect the urination with why his owner is now shoving his face in it. He WILL lose trust in you though.

* dunking his head in a mixing bowl of water next to the spot he peed (I know this sounds harsh but I didn't hold him underwater, just shoved his head into it so he was soaked; one of my friends had a similar problem and this fixed her dog pretty much instantaneously);

DON'T do this either. This sounds like the dog version of water boarding, and is just plain shocking that you would think this would work to do anything but undermine your relationship with your dog. Seriously? This is the stupidest idea regarding dog training I've heard. I don't use that word often but my god. It doesn't matter that you don't hold him there. I'm sure he isn't a willing participant. Therefore this practice is probably slightly terrifying to him. Would you do this to your toddler (which it's been proven dogs are at the same mental complicity of a 2-3 year old) when they started wetting the bed? No. So don't do it to your dog. Period.

Since a vet has ruled out infection it sounds behavioural, a change that corresponds with your new room mate? I'm thinking jealousy. Have you tried going back to basic potty training? If not, I would until he gets back to usual. Also is he neutered? He could be marking. Sometimes with a change in the home the dog can feel jealous or upset and revert to puppyhood mistakes. I would also have your room mate work on training with you to ease the tension.

I would also try using a pheromone diffuser like this D.A.P. - Dog Appeasing Pheromone. Basically it emits a pheromone that helps calm a dog in a stressful mindset. Other than that keep cleaning with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle and keep treating when he does good and ignoring when he does bad. If you punish you're giving him attention that he so badly wants, so he'll likely do it again.

Reactions: CoyotePro
1 - 2 of 2 Posts