Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Very new here, hopefully I am in the right place! My story/question is a bit long.. but here I go.

I have two dogs, both chihuahuas. One is full (Oreo) other is chihuahua/papillion (Blitz). They are brothers and I have had them since they were born. Blitz has always been the bigger one, but he is very sweet and attached. He always wanted to be in my lap and always let me cuddle him to sleep and rub his ears. Oreo is a little different and does his own thing most of the time. Both are 5 y/o and have been very happy since I've had them. They get along very well.

We have just moved to a different town not too far from our old home around August and the dogs adjusted fine. Although, two or three months ago Blitz unfortunately had a tick attach onto him from our backyard. It was behind his right ear, towards the neck. I was so worried but we got it all taken care of and the vet said he was fine, even months after at his yearly visit. Although I couldn't help but notice he was starting to become aggressive. If I was to rub him behind his ears (like he used to thoroughly enjoy) he would get aggravated and growl at me. If I didn't stop soon enough, he would proceed to almost try to bite me but it was never hard. The strange thing is that RIGHT after, he would look so sorry with his ears down and lick my hand. As if he was apologizing.. (lol). This behavior was strange and very concerning to me but I figured maybe he was just scarred from the tick and it would go away soon.. but it never really did. He always growls if you get too close and rub his belly/ears.. or if you accidentally touch him while he's sleeping.

Fast forward to this morning.. my boyfriend tried to get Blitz off of the bed because it was time to go outside and he wouldn't move. He just laid there because he loves being in our bed and probably thought we were kicking him out. But my boyfriend proceeded to tell him to go outside and he wouldn't move. As soon as my boyfriend gave him a little shove at his bum, Blitz growled and immediately bit my boyfriends hand. This time he was bleeding.. and I'm just shocked because he's never bitten that hard.

As you can see, I'm just very concerned. What do I do? I know it's probably time to take him to the vet again but I just wanted to see what others have to say. Do I get a trainer? Do I take him to the vet?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
I think its time for the Vet to do a complete medical workup on him, to confirm or rule out any medical issues. Once you have that information, you can make a better informed decision as to what the next step should be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts