Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im kinda new to this. I got a 4 week old Shorkie last week. I know he is very young, the lady we got him from did not have time for puppies and it was an accidental pregnacy and blah blah.. But anyway..
She kept these puppies in a x-pen with a puppy pad near the bed.

For the first week:
When I first got him I did not feel safe leaving him alone so I would bring him to work with me. (He slept all day) He did excellent with going after his long naps.. I would see him sniff, and bring him to the pad. and instantly he would go.

For the past few days:
He does great at home alone in the pen. When I am home on the other hand, he rather urinates in the kitchen or living room. I catch him as soon as he squats softly tell him NO and put him on his pad and say go potty. 1 out of 10 chances he will actually finish.. the other 9 chances, he wants to play. I ignore him and walk away but he follows and I catch him squatting in the same places (living room/kitchen).
I have him at work with me today because he has a worm treatment later. I have his usual set up, bed with the pad right by it and food on a different side. At least 3 times I have watched him sniff. I put him on the pad and he thinks I want to play. I walk away and the process repeats until I turn and its too late because he pees on the floor. I put him on the pad and it doesnt work..

Also, When he does go on the pad I reward with a treat. I dont think he gets the hint that I want him to go on a pad.

I NEED ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO TO GET HIM completely trained. So we can leave him unattended in the home later and expect him to go on his pad no matter what room he is in.

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Oh dear! The first thing to realize is that any "scolding" right now is really going to mess up this puppy's head. He is waaay too young for much bladder control yet, so you cannot really expect him to learn to control when or where he pees. He is the equivalent of a human infant under 1 year of age. Scolding him for peeing where ever, is like scolding that infant for peeing in his diaper.

(In general, punishment or scolding almost always backfires with housetraining any way... what you end up teaching the dog is that he should not pee while you watch.)

Read our house training sticky here.
And please also realize that your puppy is way too young to be out and about. He needs to be confined to a crate or small puppy pen. Allowing him to wander about the living room etc. will only pattern him to using the entire house as his toilet!

Hope some of that helps!
And welcome to DogForum. There are a lot of resources here to help you! :)

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
I agree that he is to young to be allowed to roam without supervision. Since he is small you could get a human play pen(can find cheap at garage sales:)) to put him in. Place a pad on one side and his bedding on the other side. That way he will learn were to potty. If he has any accidents on his bed, do not say anything just clean it up. He will learn not to potty were he sleeps.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I remember with my first dog reading that they CANNOT control themselves 100% until about 16 weeks...so you have a long way to go before you can really expect the dog is gonna even be able to be accident free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.
I dont let him roam around the house when i am not with him in each room. I try not to fuss when he does go in the house but its so hard because when I put him on his pee pad which is in his pen by his bed, he looks at me and then goes crawl into his bed without finishing his business.
Again, Last night he did great, no accidents off of his pad. This morning we was playing on the floor in the living room and he walked around (not giving signs of having to potty) and squatted. I picked him up and put him on his pad and said "go potty" and he went to his bed..

Is it possible that he is missunderstanding me and thinks that go potty is that he should go to his bed?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Thanks for the replies.
I dont let him roam around the house when i am not with him in each room. I try not to fuss when he does go in the house but its so hard because when I put him on his pee pad which is in his pen by his bed, he looks at me and then goes crawl into his bed without finishing his business.
Again, Last night he did great, no accidents off of his pad. This morning we was playing on the floor in the living room and he walked around (not giving signs of having to potty) and squatted. I picked him up and put him on his pad and said "go potty" and he went to his bed..

Is it possible that he is missunderstanding me and thinks that go potty is that he should go to his bed?
He probably has no idea what "go potty" means. All he notices is that you are unhappy with him (even if you try to hide it... a dog can tell) so he goes to his bed to try to appease you.

Have you read the house training sticky I linked you to? It really helps a LOT.

Just know that a 5 week old puppy has about 1 second of warning in his head between when he realizes he's about to pee, and when it happens. They are simply "leaky" at this age, so I think you are expecting too much of him. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Tess. This really helps! I thought I was asking too much but since I got him at such a young age, I was thinking I could train him early.. He is getting alot better since my first post. He still likes to go on my kitchen mat but I can deal with it. I just dont let him go by it! lol!

Any suggestions on teaching him his name?

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
To teach him his name, just say his name and when he looks at you, toss him a treat! ;)

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Here, try this stuff.

·
Registered
5,854 Posts
Thanks Tess. This really helps! I thought I was asking too much but since I got him at such a young age, I was thinking I could train him early.. He is getting alot better since my first post. He still likes to go on my kitchen mat but I can deal with it. I just dont let him go by it! lol!

Any suggestions on teaching him his name?
Unfortunately teaching them to pads can cause them to use other objects, like mats, as a potty spot. They do not know the difference.

You said when he had a mistake you would take him and put him on his. You also said his pad is next to his bed. Where are both of these?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In my kitchen, I have bay windows that I block off with the x-pen. I have his bed on one end of the area, and his food/water and pad on the other.

He is wonderful at night with this technique. I think he just gets excited when he is out of his pen and doesnt know just yet where to go when he is now locked up. We are working on it..

Teething is becoming a problem now. He is aggervated with himself and I cant find any remedy to sooth his gums. He only likes fingers. I have bones, toys, frozen towels everything.. He doesnt like any! HAHA! Hes a true character!

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
A bit of clove oil on the gums helps. Frozen towels can be made a bit more appetizing by soaking them in broth instead of just water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts