Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thank you for any info in advance!
My Wife and i just recently rescued a pitbull puppy who was abandoned by her mom. We took her in as we didn't want her to fall victim to some bad system. We have had her for a few days now and we have some questions that we would love some of you experts to answer for us.
1. Firstly, we pay alot of attention to her at this point, but i almost feel like we are spoiling her. We have a puppy crate that is sitting inside a pretty large and wide gate for her to play in. We keep the crate open, and for the most part i think she is learning to like the crate. but she gets really antsy and whines alot about being in the gate. We have wee wee pads and toys in the gate, but she seems to still want to get out,and if she cant, she whines and cries alot... Should we just make her tough it out every once and a while or should we do away with the gate? Its a necessity when we aren't home, but once we come home for the night we could bring it down.

2. To append number 1, She does alot of this whining also when she wakes up in the middle of the night. For the past 3 nights she has woken up twice during the night, pretty much around 3 and 6 AM. This forces us to wake up and show her some attention until she tires out. usually lasts about 20 minutes or so. is going to pass soon or should we be used to this for the long hall??

3. Ive been watching alot of videos on potty training.. and i have one issue.. Our puppy goes really fast! When we catch her in the act, by time we pick her up to put her on the wee wee pad. she has already let at least some pee out. Should i be showing disappointment when she does this?

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
She's an infant, in human years probably around the age of a 1 year old baby. Take that in mind with any training you do.

At her age she NEEDS lots of one on your attention, in a perfect world she'd have her whole litter to cuddle with and play with while mom was away, now she only has you. If I had her I'd be giving her all the attention I could for the next couple weeks in order to help her feel safe and secure. I'd also be exposing her to different textures, sights, sounds, and smells, to teach her that the world is not scary but would be doing so in a controlled way and making sure each experience was a happy, fun, one. In another couple weeks I'd start backing off a bit with the attention and being their constantly, so that she learns that being alone is alright.

At around 6 weeks, if you are housetraining, you can expect her to need to go out 2 times a night to potty. By 7 to 8 weeks it'll be 1 time a night, and by 9 to 10 weeks she'll sleep though the night if you're lucky. Like I said, right now she's a baby, but luckily puppies grow up quickly and the sleepless nights don't last to long.

She's WAY to young to housetrain, at her age the most you can hope to do is manage things, she does not have any bladder control yet. In another week or two you'll have more success at that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd also be exposing her to different textures, sights, sounds, and smells, to teach her that the world is not scary but would be doing so in a controlled way and making sure each experience was a happy, fun, one.
Thanks for the info. How would i go about teaching her sights and sounds? I cant take her outside yet. She just got her first set of shots. and i was told by the vet i should wait atleast until the next set in the next few weeks.

·
Premium Member
10,820 Posts
Thanks for the info. How would i go about teaching her sights and sounds? I cant take her outside yet. She just got her first set of shots. and i was told by the vet i should wait atleast until the next set in the next few weeks.

Carrying her, just not putting her down on the ground, and letting her see and smell everything that way, should work for now. Just be careful letting people touch her, some puppies are perfectly happy to receive the loving adulation of the adoring public, but some puppies find it very scary. If she's enjoying the attention it's fine to let people pet her, if she finds it scary then they shouldn't but you can try having her watch them and offer her little pieces of treats as she does so.

Reactions: Dia

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
More and more breeders are using various enrichment activities to help their puppies while they are still with their littermates. This is a good place to learn a bit about what I'm talking about. THE ENRICHMENT EFFECT

Another site with some info. Early Learning Program Highlights

Potty training advice: Don't show any disappointment when she has an accident. Praise her and give her a tiny food treat when she potties outside. She's not too young to start house training. Just keep your expectations low and remember to reward and praise every success and ignore accidents.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts