Dog Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a five-month old puppy who's recently started doing something very odd. She's usually very well trained, and her potty-training is going well, but she's recently started to pee in her crate before sleeping in the puddle itself, and I can't figure it out. I'll take her outside to go, and she'll go, but then once we're back inside she'll go into her crate, pee, and then lay in the pee itself. Her crate is large enough to not sleep on it, but she still does it. She does not have accidents anywhere else, it's only where she's going to sleep. I've tried moving the crate, switching things around, going back to training 101 and taking her out every half hour, using Nature's Miracle to attract her outside, nothing works! I've tried putting her in the crate, then taking her outside, nothing. Several times I've stayed outside for over an hour at a time hoping she'll pee twice, but she holds it. I've tried going in and out over and over, too. I've tried watching her when she's in the crate, but she makes absolutely no warning when she's going to go - I interupt her and take her outside, but that's the best I can do. Does anyone know why she might do this, and how to get her to stop? Am I doing something wrong or is it something else?

·
Registered
4 Posts
You will need to go back to potty training 101 and take the dog out more often than you do now. Possibly taking the dog out coming in and then right back out again if need be. You should also keep a journal of accidents, like time and where it occurred, so you can see where the pattern is. Dogs don't like to sleep/lay in their own waste unless there is no other option.

Natures Miracle is an enzyme cleaner, not an attractant. So spraying it outside will do nothing in terms of getting your dog to potty outside.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just said I tried going back to potty-training 101, and it's not working, I take her out every 30 mins. I've also tried taking her in and out when I do it to try and trick her. I'll keep a journal if you like but she only seems to do it before naps or sleep, and also only in her crate. I don't know why she's laying in it when most of the crate is clean, it's really weird. Also, Nature's Miracle is a line of products, and they do make an attractant for house-breaking, you can Google it.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
So it sounds like its time to give up the crate if that is the only place she pees in the house. Leave her in a laundry room or bathroom as long as its puppy proof,or you could use a pen. Once they get comfortable going it the crate it becomes useless.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it's a complete bust then? She only does it when she gets ready to sleep, not when she's just generally in there, that's why I thought it could be trained or otherwise gotten out of her. And I can't stress enough, she seems to like laying in it, it's the weirdest part.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Is she actually lying down, then getting up and squatting, then lying back down in it?

Is she very lean? Short haired or long haired?

All I can think of is cold. We had a pup who we got in the winter and despite seeming to pick up house-breaking quickly there was almost always an accident in her crate after naps/nights. We figured out it was because when she was sleeping she was cold and peeing in her sleep -- the wet would eventually get cold during the night and she would wake up and cry.

We started putting a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel into her crate with her at night (and during "nap times" on colder days) and the problem disappeared.

Now if you're watching your girl lie down then get up and squat, then lie back down again...that's a different problem and I have no idea. Very bizarre.

Our girl was also probably only 3.5/4 months when this happened and had a thin coat and a lean body with little insulating fat despite lots of food.

·
Banned
6,595 Posts
I'm actually having the same issue with my foster right now. he'll pee WHILE eating, sleep in it, run around it (his standard stress response), everything. He's totally comfortable being covered in pee even when he's stressed about things.

My only solution has been belly bands, pee pads (to help clean the mess, not to encourage peeing on them per say), and A MILLION AND ONE trips outside all the time. It's frustrating as all hell when they're this comfortable being in pee. House training is a lot harder, and you need to be extra consistent with how frequently you go out. Every 15 minutes during worse days, if you have to, and stretch it when you can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
travelingswift; she's just squatting and then laying in it. She's rather lean, and her fur is short, though she has two layers of it. It would make a lot of sense if she's cold, my room (where she stays) is in the basement, and we keep the house colder than a lot of people seem to like (68 during the day, 65 at night). I'll try and see if I can get her a little heater or something!

Kwenami; Wow, I'm glad you fostered him and got him out of where he was! My pup doesn't appear to be that bad, but it's certainly something to keep in mind and might make it harder to train her later, if it's not related to the cold or something similar.

·
Premium Member
3,829 Posts
There is no need to bring drama over from other forums. Keep this thread on topic.

·
Registered
165 Posts
she likes the heater I found so I think it might be working.
Glad to hear that it might be working. If it's an electric heater just make sure that it's not a fire hazard. Be careful letting it run for too extended a period of time and too close to any objects (especially flammable ones).

Even just taking a re-usable water bottle (e.g. nalgene or camelbak) and filling with hot water (hottest level from the tap, not boiled on the stove) then wrapping a towel around it can make a huge difference for a dog plus it simulate having other warm bodies to snuggle up with (think puppy pile).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The heater is an old terrarium one, they're designed to be left on all the time, so it's not a fire or heat hazard. But thank you for the suggestion of the water bottle! Obviously it'll take some time to figure out if the heater has really stopped her or not, in the meantime I'm still open to suggestions or ideas.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts