Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very sweet, calm 5 month old Bernese Mountain Dog/Newfoundland mix. During the day he goes on 2 decent length walks, has a couple mini-training sessions, plays hide and seek and fetch, plays with his older brother and sister (5 year old mixes) - he's really living the life! He is very friendly to all dogs and people, can sit at a restaurant quietly chewing a rawhide for a couple hours, and is generally well behaved.
That is, up until last week. Without exhibiting any signs that something is physically wrong (no vomiting, diarrhea, no rash or wounds) he has completely changed. Mostly at night when I am getting ready for bed, but also at some random points throughout the day, he goes crazy! He will start biting or humping (or both) anything he sees. Or,if he's not biting or humping, he's barking! 3 nights ago he barked for about 3 hours before he finally went to sleep. 2 nights ago he barked all night - no sleep! Last night I gave him some benadryl which knocked him out, but only after about an hour of barking. He also will do the barking and biting at random points throughout the day. I'm with him a lot, if not most of the day, and there hasn't been any traumatic experience so I'm not sure what started this, but I need it to stop! Any tips?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To clarify, the humping is only at night and may be unrelated since it doesn't happen the other times he freaks out. I am mostly concerned about the biting and barking.

·
Registered
140 Posts
He is at his adolescent stage which is, in my experience, more difficult than the early puppy stage. You may consider a vet visit to rule out any medical issues. Have you taught him basic obedience commands?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I second the vet visit. He could have swallowed something and be in pain, or any number of physical ailments. Whenever there is a sudden change in behavior it is best to rule out physical causes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts