Dog Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 5 month old cocker spaniel x labrador and she is a little sweetie - most of the time!

usually she is happy playing off the lead, with other dogs and around the field and will come back when called but lately she is running that little bit further away and taking that extra bit longer to come back! i know she's a "teenager" but is there anyway i can control this without having her on the lead all the time. she loves to play with other dogs and the stretchy lead ends up tripping people over/tying them up!

thank you!

·
Registered
13,331 Posts
Yes, at 5 months she is outgrowing that initial puppy timidness. This is a GOOD sign! (If puppy gets very timid at 5 months, that is a bad sign for the future!).

Its going to be awhile until she has this new confidence PLUS the ability to have self control and respond to your come command. Think of her as a middle school aged child who is starting to have independence but is a wee bit naughty!

This is a normal and necessary stage. Just keep up your positive training and practice with "come" in less distracting situations. Don't punish her for this normal stage, just manage the situation so you are not finding yourself tying folks up in her leash. Find times and ways to let her play with other dogs off-lead. This is important social development so don't stop letting her play!

She'll grow up soon enough and go back to being much more obedient. Gentle, consistent guidance from you is all you need. Don't expect perfection. Dogs are much like children... always a work in progress. :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Tess always beats me with her great advice :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, Tess you do give great advice. Thank you, I'm relieved that it's not all my hard work gone to waste. Glad to hear that she's still track to be a good girl : )
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts