Dog Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the last two months, my 5 month old puppy was pretty reliable at peeing outside with only 1-2 mistakes inside a week. In the last week, it seems we have regressed. Today, 4 pees inside, and pretty consistently 1 pee inside a day for the last week or so. No big changes in home life, schedule, diet, water intake. She is let out to pee whenever she is at the door. But lately, every once and a while, she just gets up and goes pee, without even going to the door first. The only thing I can think of is that we've gotten lazier in going outside with her and giving her lavish praise each time she pees.

Should we go back to going outside with her each time she goes to the door and heaping on the praise? Is this regression 'normal'?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ugh I can totally relate with my 5 month old pup! He was making such great progress I got lazy as well. I've gone back to keeping him under constant supervision and celebrating every time he does a wee outside. To say the least, things are improving again - so yes, I suggest going back to the basics :p

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
I would just start all over like he's 8 weeks. Lots of supervision, big party when he goes outside. He'll probably get back on it pretty quickly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts