Dog Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you know that when a pet is taken to a shelter, it's typically given only 5 business days to live? In other words, dogs and cats that are caught and impounded, or given to the shelter by their owner, have 5 days to be adopted, otherwise they're euthanized.

Each year $250,000,000.00 is spent on housing and euthanizing homeless dogs and cats in California. 1,000,000 dogs and cats make it to the shelters in California alone, and over half of them are killed.

SB250 (currently known as the "Pet Responsibility Act") is a bill that could help save the lives of pets, and help to decrease the pet overpopulation problem that we face right now. SB250 requires that dogs and cats be spayed and neutered upon licensing, and a non-altered license is required to keep a dog or cat from being spayed or neutered.

For more information regarding this law, and to learn what you can do to help get it passed, visit their website at http://www.yesonsb250.com/

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
I saw this in my pijac letter. Not sure how I feel about this.

anyone wanting to see the "against" argument here it is

https://www.pijac.org/_documents/ca_sb_250_spay_neuter_ii.pdf

this will negatively effect many people. All dogs must be altered by six months old. It does not only affect impounded or shelter dogs like the link suggests.

Bottom line is, theres no way to enforce this. They can't even enforce licensing.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
wait a minute... isnt there already a different charge there for altered vs unaltered pets? Maybe I need to read the link cuz thats what I got from the post?

Your licensing is higher if the pet is unaltered. So no one licenses their dogs....it doesn't solve anything.

But if this passes it will be ILLEGAL to have a 6 month old puppy that isn't fixed.

The fear is that if this passes people will stop licensing and stop getting their dogs vet care. Just like the ferret owners here are terrified to take their pets to the vet, just like pit bull people in BSL areas are terrified to take their dogs outside or to the vet.

There is a over pop problem. BUT the MAIN problem is owner RENTION. People don't KEEP the dogs they BUY. Most dogs go to shelters for behavior problems, not from opps litters, and you can't spay and neuter away the stupid.

like I said, not som'thing I'm solid on.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
They already implemented something similar in Tarrant county, and Dallas County Texas. They enforce it through the Vets. The last I heard it was a 500 dollar fine unless you have a Breeders license.

·
Registered
11,148 Posts
Governmental controllers are morons; Either in federal, or state. They are full of "do-gooders" that think there way is the only proper way. Nuff said, we don't want the hound to go off on a tangent and screw up his night time calm. ;)

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
:rofl: deep breaths SH, think about rainbows and kittens, and little birds chirping in lush green trees... you can hear the wind, lightly rustling the leaves... breath in, breath out, slowly.... calmly... etc, etc, etc. feel better?

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
If they would just enforce the licensing in CA people would willingly alter their pets.

Guess what happens when I call AC. They either...

don't show up

show up days later

this is after sitting on hold for an hour. I own the only dogs on my block with licenses. In fact I have NEVER seen a dog within this city with tags except my own. EVER.

like I said, there is no one to enforce it.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree, people would just stop taking their pets to the vet if the KNEW they would get fined for it!

I think people should have a liscene to breed, and anyone purchasing a dog will be able to separate the BYBS from good breeders by just asking to see their breeders license. And thus know who to avoid. I don't think it will solve the problem, but I think it could certainly put a few BYB's out of action.

That being said I got my dogs from a good registered breeder. They were clearly neglected and mistreated. Underweight, unhealthy and my girl had some mysterious wounds that the vet said looked like third degree burns. After two years these injuries have not healed right. Its easy for breeders to keep their dogs in the spotlight clean and healthy, esp just in pictures on a website... but sometimes some are suffering silently in the background.

·
Registered
18,680 Posts
my dogs dont wear their tags

your dogs also live inside, and are clean and well fed. Outdoor dogs are required by law to have their tags on... most dogs here live outdoors 24/7

I have been tempted to make a video of the dogs in my town. Tied up, matted, hoarded (i have several neighbors with dogs in the double digits) in all weather (we have severe weather here), loose constantly, injured....

I spend twenty minutes chasing puppies on the side of the highway yesterday, I couldn't get them.

No one here cares.

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
ooooh ok I was gonna say "shoot!" lol You know what bugs the bleep outa me is the ranches with outdoor dogs who are always running the street. I was working (I think I posted this before) and there was a dog with some kind of tags on his collar, he would not come to me...well he starts running down the street and cars are just flying right by him!!!! I wound up driving the opposite way blocking him from the street with my hazards on (dont worry it was in a neighborhood) anywho he ran off onto a side street and into a yard and lied down and I continued on my way. I think the point of my story is I have to see loose dogs all the time :(

·
Registered
22,513 Posts
i see loose dogs in my neighborhood all the time too, lots of them are just let out the front door into fenceless yards... not to mention the countless people who "walk" their dogs without a leash... i've chased dogs, caught them and called AC and owners, no one cares here either...

we don't have many strays here tho... sadly, they become meals for the wildlife, tho i suppose that is better than huge feral populations...

Dog | Forum | Rocks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.