Dog Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I know that taking a puppy at 5-6 is certainly not ideal. We're supposed to be taking our new puppy on the 22nd (7 weeks). However, I got a call from the owner tonight and the mom isn't doing so well. I went to visit the little one a week and a half ago and the mom was really thin.

The owner isn't a breeder. Mom got pregnant by accident. The vet has told the owner that she has a calcium deficiency and that she has to be removed from the pups. The owner has starting asking those taking the puppies to take them now.

If I don't take the pup, he will likely be brought to a shelter so either way he'll likely be separated from his littermates.

My question is if I do go ahead and take him in the next day or so, how can I make sure that he gets the socialization he needs. I do have a cat that I know will "keep him in line" but I'm sure that's not going to be enough. Does anyone else have any ideas???

Please let me know if there are any "success" stories out there. It's just I've already met him and fallen in love. I'm sure I could find another puppy out there but I hate to think of him having a sad life when I know we could give him a good one.

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
You don't need to bring your puppy home early just because the litter needs to be taken off the mother. Puppies don't stay with the mother until they are 8 weeks. They are usually weaned a couple of weeks before then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I adopted my last puppy at 6 weeks, she was an awesome dog! We had no issues with her being so young, she lived a happy and healthy 16 years :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Get into a puppy class right at 8 weeks. I did three a week and Pax loved them and got him right into socialization.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts