Dog Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got Star when she was 8 weeks old, we would let her go outside and stand with her to make sure she didn't wander off. As we got into the really hot summer months, we got lazy (bad, I know) and started to let her run. We did this for awhile until I came to my senses and decided we needed to stop. We still didn't have enough time, especially in the morning, to sit with her while she went, plus now that she had a taste of freedom, anytime we let her out, she'd bolt because that's what we used to let her do. That being said, we got her a leash and a stake so we could hook her up and let her do her business without the worry of her getting hurt or lost or something like that. Now, I've seen her pee outside several times, and I haven't found any accidents of that nature inside in quite awhile, I have found poop though, which tells me, she probably isn't pooping outside. She does poop on walks, though, so I don't think it's the outside aspect. Any ideas on why this could be and how I could help teach her to poop outside? Thanks!

·
Registered
343 Posts
First. You should never leave your dog tied to a stake outside unsupervised. So many bad things can happen.

Second. If she can't have free reign of a fenced in yard, you should be taking her on walks to potty at least 4 times a day. 1 or 2 of these times can be part of a longer walk for exercise. Put her walks on a schedule, be consistent and give her a bunch of praise and treats when she goes outside.

Third. Give your house a thorough cleaning with a enzymatic cleaner to get rid of any lingering scent in spots where she previous has gone potty.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When I first got Star when she was 8 weeks old, we would let her go outside and stand with her to make sure she didn't wander off. As we got into the really hot summer months, we got lazy (bad, I know) and started to let her run. We did this for awhile until I came to my senses and decided we needed to stop. We still didn't have enough time, especially in the morning, to sit with her while she went, plus now that she had a taste of freedom, anytime we let her out, she'd bolt because that's what we used to let her do. That being said, we got her a leash and a stake so we could hook her up and let her do her business without the worry of her getting hurt or lost or something like that. Now, I've seen her pee outside several times, and I haven't found any accidents of that nature inside in quite awhile, I have found poop though, which tells me, she probably isn't pooping outside. She does poop on walks, though, so I don't think it's the outside aspect. Any ideas on why this could be and how I could help teach her to poop outside? Thanks!
How long is the leash? could it be that she is too uncomfortable pooping (soiling) so close to where she is tied out? That she thinks "this is my area I'm not supposed to soil it"?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I considered that as a possibility which is why I bought her a longer leash which I do think helped a little bit because she used to pee inside and now she doesn't. However, does she not see peeing in her area as "soiling it"? I haven't ruled that option out, and I've been comparing prices on longer leashes, I just wanted to get someone else's opinion before I spent the money since I've already bought 2.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long is the leash? could it be that she is too uncomfortable pooping (soiling) so close to where she is tied out? That she thinks "this is my area I'm not supposed to soil it"?
I considered that as a possibility which is why I bought her a longer leash which I do think helped a little bit because she used to pee inside and now she doesn't. However, does she not see peeing in her area as "soiling it"? I haven't ruled that option out, and I've been comparing prices on longer leashes, I just wanted to get someone else's opinion before I spent the money since I've already bought 2.

·
Registered
256 Posts
In our mind yes, but maybe not in hers? My dog pees all over the yard (well, she has her areas, but some of them are really, really close to the deck where we tend to hang out most when we're outside), but has 3 designated poo areas, all in the furthest away corners of the yard. So it might make a difference for her if it is pee or poop.
I've also read about dogs who will pee in their yard, but not poop in it, just on walks, because they see the whole yard as their "home".

How often do you take her on walks? Maybe you can try to teach her a cue for pooping while being on the walk and then try this cue in the backyard?
Do you see a pattern about her pooping? Right after waking up/certain time after meal time? Would it be possible to give her walks for these times?

I know what you mean with "not enough time in the morning". My husband and I both work full time and thus the morning only leaves little time to interact with the dog. I switched to getting up earlier, to give her more attention/play time in the morning and my husband does the same before he leaves. Maybe something like that would be possible to fit a quick 10 minute morning walk in?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In our mind yes, but maybe not in hers? My dog pees all over the yard (well, she has her areas, but some of them are really, really close to the deck where we tend to hang out most when we're outside), but has 3 designated poo areas, all in the furthest away corners of the yard. So it might make a difference for her if it is pee or poop.
I've also read about dogs who will pee in their yard, but not poop in it, just on walks, because they see the whole yard as their "home".

How often do you take her on walks? Maybe you can try to teach her a cue for pooping while being on the walk and then try this cue in the backyard?
Do you see a pattern about her pooping? Right after waking up/certain time after meal time? Would it be possible to give her walks for these times?

I know what you mean with "not enough time in the morning". My husband and I both work full time and thus the morning only leaves little time to interact with the dog. I switched to getting up earlier, to give her more attention/play time in the morning and my husband does the same before he leaves. Maybe something like that would be possible to fit a quick 10 minute morning walk in?
Thank you so much for your help and time. I'll try some of those things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts