Dog Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently adopted a 4 year old dog from a rescue agency (not your usual shelter), any way he is afraid of almost everything, but we have been able to help with a lot of the issues. The BIG problem is that he doesn't like to go outside. He will go for a short walk to wee, but immediately lunges back to the house afterwards, and once inside he will poo.

We have tried everything taking him out solo, taking him together, even taking him with our other dog which seemed to work for all about 1 day.

Not sure of what situation he was in before coming to us, I know he was in a shelter, and the humane society as well as in a doggy foster home. I do know the the foster home did have several other dogs and they had a big fenced yard, which we do not.

Any one have any ideas how to get an adult dog who will walk on a leash, and pee outside, but refuses to poo, to do his business outside?

·
Registered
813 Posts
My old girl was a rescue and was terrified of the outside world (but she would run out into our garden for a quick pee and poo).

I engaged a behaviourist who identified my dog's safe zone (which was basically the front door step) where she was happy. One step outside that zone and she'd freak out.

I was advised to work (train) the dog inside the safe zone and slowly extend the it - one step out of the zone whilst still working her. Next time work her at the boundary of the extended zone and again try to take one step outside the zone (further away from the house) and so on. It is actually easier to do than to describe it. If at any point the dog became uncomfortable or worried we'd step closer to the house and carry on training.

With patience, time and lots of treats my girl learnt that the outside world is a wonderful place and people, especially children have a lot of love to give.

So may be something similar could work with your dog? Some dogs lack confidence to poo outside where other dogs have been. Maybe if you put some of his poo outside where you'd like him to go, it might make him think he'd pooped there before, therefore it would be safe to poo there again.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts